EZGO Carburetor Adjustment

RedRooster

Ok, Im and idiot. I was cleaning the carburetor on my 2003 EZGO TXT and broke off the adjustment screw with the plastic stop/limiter on it. The one you can only turn about a quarter in either direction. It has moved since...its screwed itself in a bit and I can see the point of it sticking inside the carb opening, didn't see this before. I noticed in my parts book that this screw isnt available separately. Would this be contributing to it running crappy? I also noticed while cleaning the carb that the pilot jet is a #42 and the main jet is a #82, are these correct for that model (03 txt..lifted..governor adjusted)? Would a higher jet number help with power on hills and such? Im pretty new to the whole cart world sorry for all the questions. I searched, but didnt see exactly what I was looking for...but saw that some of you are guru's. Thanks in advance.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
all the things your saying can affect the way it runs, i would make sure the engine is right first then work on the carburetor. have you checked the valve adjustment yet? (common problem) poor or low compression could be another factor, the screw your talking about will affect the low speed but will not affect higher rpm's. Welcome to Cartaholics Golf Cart Forum. :hattip:

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
its funny that BGW claims to have 52,298 members and some of those have made over 30,000 post yet they wouldn't take the time to help you with your problem.

Sorry, just had to say it :hattip:

RedRooster

Funny, I was thinking the same thing...no response from anyone at BU either. Valves are good...first thing I did actually. It has the typical cold start issue, but runs good once i get it going. That pilot/air screw didnt look right with the point sticking thru to the inside of the carb. I tried researching jets on a bunch of sites, but none said anything about jet size and what the stock jetting is on a cart such as mine. Do my jet sizes make sense to you Nubs? Will i get better performance (yes, i know its a 9hp cart) if I change them to what the manual says...88 main and 46 pilot? I have no idea how to check the compression. No oil or gas in airbox or anything like that...doesnt smoke. Plugs look lean, but are new, new wires, air filter, fuel lines, fuel filter, belts...etc. Runs great on a flat out wide open. I mainly want to get just a bit more hill power and to see if that "pilot screw" from ezgo will work as a replacement for the one I broke. Thanks for the speedy reply too.

RR

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
you can rent a compression tester from a auto parts store for 10 bucks or so, just pull the plugs and stick the tester in the hole and push the gas pedal all the way down for 3/4 secs and read the number. 160lbs or better is what it should be, just tells ya what shape the engine is in. if it runs fine theres no need to deal with pilot screw, it can't fall in. it only works the idle circuit anyways. same goes for the pilot jet, i run 90 or 92 main jets :twocents: the cold blooded starting clears up most times also.

RedRooster, Nubs is the man who knows his stuff!
I run the 90 main jet in mine. When you start talking hill climbing power you need to look at clutches and belts.

RedRooster

Thanks...maybe I will try a bigger main...only an 82 in there now. Ok so other than that screw being broken and bugging me...it wont do much to replace it? Thanks again.

RR

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
not if it runs fine now, i'm all for replacing the needle but i can't confirm that part number you posted would be the right one.

RedRooster

Thanks...i'll leave it for now...that part number as you mentioned it was my question too Nubs..whether it would fit or not. I did put one of those extreme belts on it..it grabs very well. I was getting some slippage in the mud on the old belt. Works well at low speed too. The hills I go on here are just the community roads...no rock climbing kind of stuff. Again Im probably just trying to squeeze too much from a golf cart. Thanks for all the help though. I like the other sites, but i will come back to y'all if i need a quick response.

RR

RedRooster

Ok, so heres what i did. Opened flying dog and got started. Cleaned carb yet again, replaced main jet swapping 82 for 88. Luckily i was able to back out the broken screw. Put it in some wood shims and vise....cut a slot in it for a small flathead screwdriver. Screwed it in, lightly seated....backed out 1.5 turns....medium locktite. Hasnt moved in a few weeks. Cart starts in a fraction of the time, dont have to choke it as much, and low end power is a bit better. So, hopefully this may help someone else. I got as much as i can expect out of a stock 9hp robin...thanks again for the help.

RR