Ezgo Brakes

Andy4639

OK here is my way of doing a brake job on a Ezgo rear end.
First jack it up and place on stands safety is always first. Take the lugs loose and remove wheel & tire. Now for the fun part:

First take the cable loose from the brake lever on the back side of the backing plate.

DSC01143.JPG

DSC01146.JPG

Once this is loose work the brake lever back and forth a few times and get it loose and free. Just make sure it moves.

Now you get to take the hub off. Take the cotter key out and back the nut off. After that it can get tricky. If the hub isn't in bad shape it should slide right off. If the shoes have woren a groove into the hub it's hammer time.
Take and hit the hub around the outer edge and hope it comes off. You can also stick a screw driver up inside the hub at the bottom of the brakes and turn the star wheel in so the shoes will loosen up on the hub.

See the teeth on the wheel. You have to get a screw driver in the hole of the hub and turn it in. This can be done it just takes a little time.
DSC01157.JPG

Now the hub is off and you are looking at the shoes and springs.
DSC01142.JPG

DSC01141.JPG

I use a small set of needle nose vise grips and take the bottom spring off.
DSC01157.JPG

DSC01155.JPG

Now take the two side keepers off they are the metal clips that are on each shoe. Just needle nose pliers and twist them off. Push in on the metal tab and twist the pin. Sorry about the picture it has the bottom spring on it. Just wanted to show the clips.
DSC01142.JPG

Now just take the shoes off with the top spring in place and set them down like they come off for referance later.
Now remove the brake lever are assembly.
DSC01152.JPG

Clean it really good and relube all the moving parts.
Clean the rest of the brake up as well. I use brake cleaner and wipe it down good.
DSC01151.JPG

Now with everything clean relube the backing plate with some good lube. See the wear marks in the plate this is normal just make sure you put some lube in those area's to help it move smooth. I also lube where the lever arm slides in the bottom of the plate also.
DSC01153.JPG

Once all this is done just go back in the same order you took everything off and then when your ready to put the hub back on you will need to adjust the star wheel so the hub barely will slip over the shoes. This may take severl tries to get right. Once the hub is on and tighten back up with the nut and cotter key installed, make sure you get it tight. I put 100 LBS of torque on mine. Now you need to loosen the brake cable tee under the drivers side floor. The rod has two 1/2" nuts that you loosen until you can hooke the cable back up to the brake arm. Make sure your cables are working and not binding this will cause trouble with your brakes if they don't move freely in the skins. Once you can hook the arm up you can tighten the 1/2" nuts back up until the slack is gone. You want just enough slack so the spring isn't got tension on the system when not being used.
I hope this helps everyone and if one of the admin wants to move it to the resource area that's fine too.

DSC01145.JPG

JRay

Cartaholic
Nice tutorial Andy, this one and the one you did on CC brakes should both go into resources. A picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks
thumbup.gif

Andy4639

No problem with doing it since I couldn't make the Bonanza this weekend I had time to do it. This just happened to be on the Mud Buggie. I had to replace the drivers side axle as well with bearing and seal. Took me longer than I thought but it got done.
Just a side note on the axle removal. I beat and banged for two days with no luck to get it out. I finally took the diff cover off and heated the gear on the inside where the axle comes into the diff area and it slid right off. It didn't take much heat just a little.

This picture shows the axle removed with the new seal in place. I used a socket to put the seal in with. The inner and outer lock rings grooves are noticeable also. Just put the inner one then the axle and the outter one and it done.

DSC01142.JPG

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Andy,

I copied this post and the Club Car Brake job post to the EZGO and Club Car Resource forums. I really appreciate you taking the time to post these GREAT how-to's

Andy4639

No problem HotRodCarts,
I plan to do this everytime I have to work on something even if it's just putting a volt meter in a cart.

Otter

Thanks Andy, I was planning on replacing my shoes soon. Is this post going to help me? I have a early 2001 TXT.

Otter

Andy, Is that angle iron welded to the bottom of the mud buggy in the pic showing the brake cable tee for extra strength or did you have to do a repair?

Andy4639

That was the repair I had to do after a few wheelie's at Plum Quick shop one day. I went ahead and did both sides just for insurance.
thumbup.gif

OlBoy

The pictures make it so much easier to understand for someone who has never done brakes. Great job and thanks.
thumbup.gif

Andy4639

I'm glad it's helping everyone out. I know how it was whenn I first started this stuff. I had to rely on the guy's I trusted to pull me through. Most of the time it was over a phone call too!

Stay tuned this fall for a 04 PDS how to also. I plan to bring Bling,Bling home for the fall and do some general cleaning up and rewiring for everything.
I'll have pictures of it all also as I go.