EZGO Big Block V-Twin Conversion

Drifter

I have a 2002 EZGO lifted 2 inches and 10 inch wheels. The 295 does not have the pulling power for hills. Would like a top speed around 30 mph. Looking into a big block V-Twin conversion. I need to make this conversion with a limited budget, hopefully under $1200. Does anyone have a suggestion on what brand and hp of engine I should look for? How much power can I put in front of the factory rear end and not damage it? If anyone has any components for sale that would work on this project please let me know. I hope to be able to do the conversion this fall. This is my wife’s cart so I have to get it right the first time.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
it can be done for that kind of money if your willing to do a little work, the rear end can take 60hp or more. the weak link is the brake drums, they can strip out the splines from time to time but its not a big deal. you can buy an engine craddle for 200.00 and find a used engine, i have a rebuilt 20hp honda v-twin with a tapered crankshaft so you could use your factory clutch and save some money. i may be willin' to do a little tradin' for your 295 and a little cash :dazed: i would spend the money and buy a set of 8:1 gears to get your speed without having to spin the engine 5K to get there. 2" lift is cuttin' it close :twocents:

Drifter

With a 20 hp and 8 to 1 gears would it still climb long grades? Give me an ideal on what you would want difference? Do you have any sugestions on an exhaust system?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
It'll pull any hill you put in front of it. There's a do it yourself kit out there for around 125 or a bolt on for 275 or so, what shape is your engine in? what state you live in

Drifter

I live south of Kansas city about 100 miles. The 295 i believe is in good condition. I put a new carb on it last year and just got it out of the shop from having the head rebuilt. It does not use oil of smoke. It just not have the power to do what we need it for. We live in an extremely rule area and use this to work around the farm and go on long rides.

Drifter

I was in Brookfield WI last week hosting a March of Dimes golf tourment. I need to get back to Burlingtion WI the first part of next month. What would you want with me having someone pick it up? Would the shipping be over $100?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
the shipping would be around a hundred but i would have to build a crate etc and then you would have to pay to ship the 295 back up here.
maybe we can do it in fall when ya pull your engine out :dazed: i'm thinkin' 400.00 and your 295, i'll look and see what i have into it tomorrow.

Drifter

See what the exact numbers are and let me know. I do disaster response so my scheduale is always changing. I would like to purchase and have all parts on site to do the conversion when I get back to the farm between events. I can not tear down the cart until I have everything here. We need to figure out how to get the engine here. If I got this engine, craddle and exhaust would I need anything else for the conversion? How hard is it to install the 8 to 1 gears? How long would it take? If the hurricane season gets active I will not be able to get home until late fall.

Welcome Drifter! :hattip:

If you look at my thread in this same section you will see how I put a Honda 18 hp in my cart. With everything you listed, the only other thing I can think you would need is to figure out the linkages for your throttle and choke. The wiring for a key start, is simple with the diagrams posted on here for that motor by Nubs. You won't be using the pedal start set up anymore, but I like the key start. But that does mean you will need an upgraded spring in your drive clutch. They are inexpensive and can be ordered from Carts Parts Plus. There's a thread on here about how to install it, it's very simple to do.

My build thread is titled "18 Honda V-Twin". There are some less expensive options for the exhaust but it would be nice to bolt on the one from sickntwisted, it's nice, putty, and simply bolts on. I spent quite a bit of time making mine from scratch. You can listen to it in one of the videos in my thread.

Good luck man! Be sure to post up pictures of your build on here. When you're finished with this build it'll all be worth it, it's a completely different animal with all that power.

Drifter

I live in a rural area between Butler MO and the KS state line. My friends say they have to walk toward town to go hunting I am so far in the sticks. Thats the way I like it. I will check out the Honda 18 build. Thanks for the Help.

MrWicked

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
there is a small jail there i have spent a few hours there....

i worked for a company Astro truck caps i was a pattern maker live on 6 acores on highway 169 ...my drivway was at mile marker 99

Drifter

Conversion getting closer. I have motor cradle, 16 hp Briggs Vangard. The header and clutch will be here next week. After going this far I am even installing a new steering wheel. Have vacation scheduled after the Albuquerque Ballon Festival. Hope to do the deed at that time.

Drifter

Had a few hours to play today. Did some fine tuning and played with the hovercraft for a while then tore down the EZGO to start the conversion. One hour to remove the engine, exhaust and generator. This is going to be a fun project.