EZGO Beeps and Brakes Itself

corvac

I am storing a 2004 EZGO 36V golf cart that my friend just purchased for his kids for Christmas. My daughter and I took it for a test drive Sunday afternoon, rode for 3 blocks, stopped for 10 min, then proceeded to return home. On the ride home, the cart beeps several times and seemed to brake itself. I came to a stop, drove another few yards, and it did this again. This repeated at shorter intervals until we finally reached home. The vehicle is stock I believe except that it has a lift kit with large off-road tires. Any ideas? Bad controller, or controller too small? Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW, the cart was fully charged initially. Thanks, Grant

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
It sounds like it could be the speed sensor. Try putting the cart in diagnostic mode first and see if you get any codes. If you don't get any codes with the cart parked drive it whiles it's in diagnostic mode and listen for codes. Here a link that tells you how to put a PDS cart in diagnostic mode and lists the codes.

EZGO Golf Cart PDS Chip Settings and Diagnostic Fault Codes

Post your results and we'll go from there...

corvac

Much obliged. Tomorrow I will drive the cart in diagnostic mode. I performed the test while parked and received 3 initial beeps, followed by nothing else. I will certainly post the results. Thanks again.....Grant

hitmanharleyk

Kind of sounds like what my '05 was doing when I had a dead cell in one of the batteries. I had put a foam ear plug in the buzzer and duct tape over it to quieten it down and it was hard to hear the beeps good enough over the roar on the off-road tires to tell if the beeps were 3-0 or 2-1. Also I felt the cart braking itself, I think in my case it was me trying to listen for the beeps easing up on the gas pedal just enough to have the regen braking to kick in. Get your volt-meter out and check the readings on each battery (30 minutes after removing them from a full charge) and post them here, this will tell us a lot. You can also load test them with the help of a friend by putting the front wheels against a wall and have the friend put lite pressure on the gas peddle (do not try to push down the wall!) as you check each battery with the volt-meter, post those numbers also.

corvac

I just drove the cart in diagnostic mode and heard 2 beeps followed by 1 beep. Referencing the chart I suppose this is a 2-1 error, "Low voltage." The test was done after a full charge. I don't have access to a voltmeter (I don't think, but may have one at work). What is the "discharge test?" Should I check the water level in the batteries? Should all batteries be replaced? Thanks again....Grant

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Check and add water to the batteries to just cover the plates if they're exposed. Charge the batteries let the cart sit for an hour and take individual voltage readings and post your results. You don't need to unhook any cables to take the individual voltage readings...

hitmanharleyk

You can pick up a digital volt meter at Walmart or Lowes for $20 to $25, if you are going to own and work on a electric cart you have to get one.

When you get to test the batteries, remember to do it about a hour after a full charge and then post the reading for each battery here. It is also recommended to replace all of them when replacing and if you need to only do a couple, it is best to find some good used ones to keep the battery pack balanced.

corvac

Thank you all for this valuable info. I have a voltmeter at work and will check the readings and post them here later this week. Grant

corvac

Water level is sufficient in all cells. Voltmeter readings while parked: all read 6. Load test: also all 6. What should they read? Thanks so much....Grant

corvac

ADDENDUM: I am using an analog voltmeter so I am unable to give voltage readings to tenths and hundreths as I have seen in other threads. Do you need these exact readings to determine battery capacity? Thanks

corvac

Voltage readings, right-to-left, front-to-back:
6.30 6.27 6.20
6.16 6.18 6.29

I did not perform the load test that was described in this thread (light pressure on throttle with cart front against wall). It's not my cart so I don't want to cause any damage. Thanks

gornoman

None of those batteries are at 100% of charge. Looks like it's time for new ones. Did we determine how old they are?

corvac

What is the full charge reading on a new battery? Any battery better than another? This cart was purchased from a "used cart salesman." Should my friend request reimbursement for the price of a new set of batteries? Thanks again, everyone here is very helpful... Grant

hitmanharleyk

Trojan says 6.37 volts @ 100% charge on 6 volt on the batteries.

Trojans are the best according to most and a set will cost you $600 +. Most folks I hear of (including myself) run the Trojan 105's.

Your friend probably bought the cart "as is" on the batteries. The best he could hope for is for the cart place to replace the 3 weakest batteries with some more used batteries, but that is only buying time as the other 3 are "tired".

Here's a battery comparison chart, it might be a little out of date but for the most part it is accurate.

6-Volt Batteries

Trojan batteries specifications:

T-105, 447 Min @25Amps, 115 Min @75Amps, 225Ah @20Amps, 62 Lbs;
T-125, 488 Min @25Amps, 132 Min @75Amps, 240Ah @20Amps, 66 Lbs;
T-145, 530 Min @25Amps, 145 Min @75Amps, 260AH @20Amps, 72 Lbs

Exide:

E3600, 390 Min @25Amps, 110 Min @75Amps to 5.25 volts, 186Ah @20Amps, 62 Lbs;
GC-5, 480 Min @25Amps, 135 Min @75Amps to 5.25 volts, 226Ah @20Amps, 65 Lbs;
GC2-H, 525 Min @25Amps, 155 Min @75Amps to 5.25 volts, 245Ah @20Amps, 68 Lbs;

NAPA 8144 (mfg. by Exide - equivalent to Exide 3600)
390 Min @25Amps, 110 Min @75Amps, 186Ah @20 Amps, 62 Lbs

NAPA 8146 (mfg. by Exide - equivalent to Exide GC-5)
480 Min @25Amps, 135 Min @75Amps, 226Ah @20 Amps, 65 Lbs

StowAway STGC2 (Mfg. by Exide for Sams Clubs - equivalent to Exide E3600)
390Min @25Amps, 110 Min @75Amps, 186Ah @20Amps, 62 Lbs

US Battery:

US-1800, 392 Min @25Amps, 107 Min @75Amps, 208Ah @20Amps, 56 Lbs;
US-2000, 445 Min @25Amps, 114 Min @75Amps, 216Ah @20Amps, 59 Lbs;
US-2200, 474 Min @25Amps, 122 Min @75Amps, 232Ah @20Amps, 63 Lbs;
US-125, 517 Min @25Amps, 140 Min @75Amps, 242Ah @20Amps, 67 Lbs;
US-145, 562 Min @25Amps, 154 Min @75Amps, 251Ah @20Amps, 70 Lbs;

Deka Batteries:

GC10, (? Min @25Amps), 100 Min @75Amps, 190Ah @20Amps, 59 Lbs
GC15, (? Min @25Amps), 115 Min @75Amps, 215Ah @20Amps, 63 Lbs
GC25, 488 Min @25Amps, 132 Min @75Amps, 235Ah @20Amps, 67 Lbs

corvac

Many thanks to everyone here. Looks like my buddy will be spending an additional $500-600 on his kids this year for Christmas! I will relay this information to him. This is by far the most helpful forum of any I have been a part of, regardless of subject. Thanks again, and I will probably be back: my 3-yr old daugter tells me we just HAVE to get a cart of our own now....

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Thanks for the compliment of the forum. :cool:

Good luck with the cart. Let us know how it goes...

Also for future reference to anyone else reading this thread it's really not a good idea to load test batteries by putting the front tires of your golf cart against a wall and holding the throttle down. Instead you can connect your volt meter to one battery at a time and drive the golf cart a short distance to see how low the voltage drops on each battery. :twocents: