EZGO Battery Charger Won't Turn On

jcrowe01

I have a 95 ezgo and it has sit for about 2 months and I went to use it plugged it up for about 30 minutes then unplugged it and played 9 holes of golf. When I went to put the cart up I plugged the charger back in and it wouldn't kick back on. I checked the connections that were visible and they look ok.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum...

The charger won't turn on until you have around 28 volts of total pack voltage. Your batteries may not have enough voltage to turn the charger on. Check the total pack voltage and charge the batteries individually with a 6 volt charger or in pairs with a 12 volt charger. Makes sure they don't need distilled water before you try to charge them...

Also check all your cable connections and make sure they're clean and tight...

jcrowe01

when I parked the cart it was still running just fine. Could it still be to low of a voltage for the charger to kick on?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If the cart sat 2 months and you only charged it 30 minutes I'm sure the batteries are pretty low. Only way to know for sure is with a meter...

jcrowe01

I don't have a meter and it is parked at the golf course so today I will take my charger with me and see if I can get it charged up. When I bought it I had to charge the batteries individually to get the charger to kick on but what threw me was this particular time was the cart is still running like it has plenty of juice. Is 28v of total pack voltage very much? I'm new to this whole golf cart thing so I don't know a whole lot.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
It sounds like you might have a bad cable, dirty connection or loose connection. Can you hear the solenoid click when you press the go pedal? It's hard to diagnose an electric cart without a meter....

jcrowe01

yeah the solenoid clicks but I took a 6 volt battery charger out today to charge all the batteries seperate and it said each battery had a 25% charge. I'm going to bring it home sometime this week because I left the charger on one battery for 30 minutes and it still only read 25% and I didn't want to be there all day.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I'd say the low voltage is why the charger isn't turning on. Before charging them make sure they don't need water (distilled) to cover the plates. Once you get the cart charger to turn on let it charge until it shuts off on its own...

jcrowe01

Ok I brought the cart home today and charged each battery with a six volt charger. The bad news is the charger still won't kick on and I know the batteries have enough juice in them now for the charger to kick on. I think my charger might have gone bad but I don't know. Any more things I might want to look for? I did have a connection that looked kinda bad so I cleaned it up and still nothing. All connection are clean and tight. The reason I think it's the charger is because cart still runs fine.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
What's the voltage reading at the charger receptacle on the cart?
Does the relay in the charger click when you plug the charger into the cart?
Check to make sure the charger and receptacle contacts are clean.
Check the fuse inside the charger.
Check the outlet you have the charger plugged in to.

jcrowe01

ok i will check all that out. I really appreciate all the help your giving me. I just would hate to take this to the shop and get charger big time for something simple.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
No problem. Don't worry about asking questions, that's what were here for. Check all the above and we'll go from there...

jcrowe01

I just took my charger apart and I'm not finding a fuse. Am I looking in the wrong place? When I plug the charger in relay does not kick on. Charger and receptacle contacts are clean. I will test how much voltage is at the recepticles tomorrow I will have to dig for my tester. I checked the outlet that the charger is plugged into and it is working fine.

jcrowe01

Its a power wise but I don't know what model because someone put a sticker over the model number and by trying to rip the sticker off the model number is coming off.

matt75

Just an idea but my charger kicks on about 4 seconds after plugging it into the cart. Are you plugging it in and right away noticing nothing and then unplugging it before it turns on?
twocents.gif

jcrowe01

No I'm leaving it in for awhile. I checked the fuse in the charger and its ok. I also check the receptacle where the charger plugs in and it has enough juice where the charger should kick on. I'm going to take my charger tomorrow to a shop and have them test it and see if it's any good.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Next thing to try is unplug the red wire in the DC cable inside the charger and test for pack voltage on the small red wire from DC cord.

If you get voltage there it's more than likely the sensor board. You can bypass the relay on the board to test it Unplug the charger from the AC and DC. Connect the 2 wires together that go to the relay and plug the charger back in. If charger turns on the board needs to be replaced.

Take all safety measures when you are working on a open charger...

jcrowe01

Well I took the cart to the shop and the charger is no good. Now I'm going to go deeper into the charger and see if I can fix it. Can these chargers be repaired alot of times or should I just break down and buy a new charger? I'm not a real electrical genius and didn't want to mess with the charger to much until I knew for sure it was giving me the problems.