EZGO 48 Volt Controller Question

kajo

hi guys i have a 02 ezgo 48v with trojan batteries..this is my first cart so i am still learning big time.
the cart is pretty fast, 30 on a gps. i installed 4ga cables on it as directed.
a week ago my controller went bad. i dont know how old it was so i dont know if it died fast.
i replaced it with the exact one a alltrax npx4834ez r5 102158 or nivel part number 453
is that a good replacement or should i have gotten something bigger. i can still take this out
and replace it but i am not sure with what. i dont have a bag of money to drop but also dont want to pop another controller in a month.
the cart is lifted and i run it like i stole it, just being honest with how it is run.
i leave it hooked to the charger at all times when not in use and check the water every 2-3 weeks
it has never needed a refill but i have the gallon of distilled ready.
any advise would be great.
i have pics of the new controller installed if that helps. let me know and i will post them
i have lots of pics of the cart posted in the lifted cart section
thanks
dave

dougmcp

The stock controller that comes with these carts is a 275 amp and what you have replaced it with is a 300 amp model.
IMO a cart that is lifted, probably has large tires and runs that fast needs a larger controller or you will suffer the same fate.
The Alltrax 4844 (400 amp) is a better application for what you are doing and I would consider it the minimum you should have for your cart.
The ideal is a 500 amp controller (Alltrax 4855) if you have the budget for it.

kajo

doug thanks for the info. that is what i was looking for.
what kind of life can i expect out of a controller? the 500 amp vrs the 400 amp?
do you think i will smoke this controller pretty quick if i keep it to save up for the 500 amp or am i looking at a year of moderate use?
thanks
dave

dougmcp

It's anybody's guess as to how long your controller will last.
The difference in price between the 300a and the 400a is only about $50.
I would call whoever you bought your controller from and orchestrate an exchange for a larger one or even call Alltrax directly and see what they can work out.

kajo

cool..thanks a million.
dave
i hope i can repay your advise sometime. i own a carpet cleaning company if you
ever need and advise or direction in my area of expertise please let me know
as i learn more about the cart and its workings i will be sure to pass the help
along to someone else as you are here..
thumbup.gif