EZGO 4 stroke low on power

1badsilverado

I'm working on a 1997 EZGO 4 stoke gas cart. Its got a lift kit with 22" tires and a utility bed on the back. It's a co-workers. He says it's low on power when it gets hot. I did a compression check and it had 190 and 195 on the cylinders. I did a tune-up kit and adjusted the valves to .005". I installed a new belt. The owner is close to 350lbs and hauls firewood on the back, and also has pulled a heavy trailer from time to time. I'm thinking the clutch might have something to do with it. You have to give it a lot of gas before it jerks into gear. It will actually chirp the tires on gravel. Any help is appreciated.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Welcome
tip.gif
it sounds like the drive clutch may be sticking, i would pull the cluch cover and make it move smooth by hand. sometimes dirt gets in the slides, check to see if grass or dirt are not jamed in the cooling fins.

ezclutch3.jpg

350dis6.jpg

1badsilverado

Ok now. I got the clutch thing fixed. Now the next problem is, when I take out the golf cart when its cold now, it seems to run on 1 cylinder. after i get about a 1/4 mile down the road it picks up the 2nd cylinder. just like it doesn't have spark to 1 of the cylinders. I just replaced the plugs in it and they are set at .035". Should i try .030" or something else? Could the coil be going bad?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
i would replace the spark plug wires, if the coil fires one cylinder then more than likely the coil is fine.

1badsilverado

Ok. Still having problems with the EZGO. Seems when it is cold, only runs on half the power. After about 5 minutes of running, it will pick up to full power and run fine. I've reset the plug gap to .029" and made a set of plug wires for it from my left over MSD wires from my car. Nothing seems to help. Its getting fire to both cylinders cuz I used an inline spark checker thinga ma bob. Both plugs are getting the same amount of spark. Need help please. What to do next.
wallbash.gif

dirtysouth

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
Still sounds like a spark plug not firing til it gets allittle heat on it. Have ya figured out which cylinder isn't firing?
tip.gif

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
i'm starting to think it may be something weird, i think i would pull the muffler loose at the manifold and try it. they have been known to plug but shouldn't get better with heat
dazed053.gif

it's a cheap test anyway

1badsilverado

I pulled the carb off last nite and cleaned it out today. Wasn't really in bad shape at all. I did notice that the vent hose from the crankcase to the airbox was cracked in numerous places. So I'm gonna replace that. Won't get a chance to work on it til tomorrow evening. I'll lewt yaw know after I get it back together to see where i'm at with it.

1badsilverado

I found a couple minutes to throw the carb and airbox back on with a new hose to replace the cracked vent hose. Seems worse now. Tomorrow evening I will play with the mixture screw on it. Maybe it wasn't in the same spot as before and maybe I will try to richen it up some. Hopefully that will work. If not, I don't know what to try next.

1badsilverado

Well, playing with the mixture screw didn't work either. I called the owner up and he's happy with it. He came and picked it up. Said it was doing that before and was happy with what I had done to it. He said he hasn't even changed the oil ever since he's owned it. At least he got a good tune-up with a fresh oil change.