EZ-GO ME29 Transaxle

Garage66

Hello Everyone, I am a complete nube to Carting. But I bought an EZ-GO gold cart to play around with. I bought with the understand that the engine was bad, with plans to drop in a Duromax 440 which I already have. Now for the question. I pulled the back off the cart to access the engine and pulled the drive belt off. I then decided to moved the shift lever into either drive or reverse and neither one seems to "engage" the differential. With the shifter in forward or reverse I can just spin the clutch freely. Is there something I am missing here? Does it have to get up to a certain RPM? Is the transaxle just broke? If so is it fixable or worth fixing? Thanks so much for any insight into whats going on here. I dont want to go through the trouble of putting the engine in till I know this is good or not. Thanks!!

guitarman

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
You should first determine if the shift cables are functioning, or even if they are hooked up. You can manually shift the rear by rotating the lever on the rear itself.

Garage66

They appear to moving the lever. The lever moves from like 5 oclock and 2 oclock, to 7 oclock and 4 oclock going all the way from forward to reverse but it doesnt look like enough to me. Should I remove the cables and try it manually?

guitarman

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
I would disconnect the cables and try shifting it. There is actually a neutral position in the middle. You should be able to feel it shift when you move the cart back and forth from F-N-R. There is actually a lockout in the the middle to keep it in neutral if you are working on the motor.

Garage66

Oh that may be what that other little lever\hook thing is. I will try both of those this evening and let you know the outcome. Thanks so much! What kind of Guitar do you play?

guitarman

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Get it out and tune it up. You’ll be glad you did. The guitar is a good friend. Sorry about stealing the thread Garage. I’ll try to stay on track from now on.

Garage66

Guitarman, You were correct my friend. Took me a few minute to figure out how to operate the Neutral safety lever but that was it. Seems to work good other than there seems to be a lot of slack in it. But they may be perfectly normal, I dont know. Thanks!!

guitarman

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
I also play in church and other events. My weapons of choice are either my CA or that old beat up SPL through the LR Baggs “Venue” pedal.

Attachments

• F09FD645-B6B5-44A9-91DD-34D76B05AD58.jpeg
    F09FD645-B6B5-44A9-91DD-34D76B05AD58.jpeg
    134.5 KB · Views: 2
  • F008809F-C9B5-47B3-A245-AB8D91DB08A2.jpeg
    F008809F-C9B5-47B3-A245-AB8D91DB08A2.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 2

guitarman

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
My shifter has some play also but you should hear it (and feel it) drop in place once it lines up. Don’t try to shift it on the fly. They were made to shift when the cart isn’t moving.