Extending Range on a Electric Golf Cart With a Generator

Kennycanfly

Hi there!

I recently got an old 36v Taylor Dunn electric golf cart for running around burning man. This means running the cart for an hour+ at a time, all day long, potentially in 100+ degree heat with up to 6 people aboard.

To avoid running out of battery I am planning on mounting a generator to keep the batteries topped off as I go.

I am wondering what size/watt generator I’ll need, and what sort of problems I will run into making this work. Any insight would be much appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!!

-Kenny

Kennycanfly

You would be better off converting to an AC drive system and putting lithium batteries in there

You are probably right but it would be too expensive for me. If I could make a generator work it would be much more cost effective and I’d never have to worry about charging the batteries.

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
Did you ever think about just getting a gas cart. I also did not know they even made 48 V Generators how much do you think that's gonna cost.

Zman

Cartaholic
Judging by the small gauge cables it doesn't put out high amps so , i would suggest keeping the batteries charged up as much as possible or things may smoke.