EVolution Golf Cart Modding - How to tap into turn signal and brake

S1antt

Hello, I'm looking to modify my fairly new EVolution Classic 4 Golf Cart. So, I'm wondering where the best place is to tap into the turn signals and brake lights. Is there a place on the cart where there is a solid signal while the blinkers are enabled? Everywhere I've tested the signal for the blinkers has been turning on and off even the wiring harness straight from the turn signal lever has the signal going on and off. I need to find a place to test if the blinkers are on or not for my mod and I don't think I can get it to work if the signal turns on and off rapidly. Then, I think the best place to see if the brakes are enabled would be the indicator light on the dashboard, it seems like it'd be very easily accessible.

TL;DR I need to find somewhere that gives a solid signal when the blinkers are on. Every place I've found has a signal that turns on and off with the turn signals.

Thanks for the help,
S1ant.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
You would need to tap into the turn signal wiring before the flasher if you want steady power. Any wiring after the flasher is going to be on and off. Welcome to Cartaholics Golf Cart Forum.

S1antt

Thanks for the welcome! When you say tap into the turn signal wiring I assume that means the wiring from the turn signal lever, but there’s still a problem with that. With the wiring harness for the lever unplugged I figured out that the top row of the 6-pin connector was for both turn signals, the middle pin was a shared positive, then both blinkers had a pin on either side of that positive. So, whenever one of the blinkers is used the middle pin and either the pin to the left or the right connect. Then when the wiring harness is plugged in, there is around 12v running through both circuits at the same time (with middle as positive and outsides as ground) then when one of the blinkers is turned on that signal goes down to around .04v and then .25v whenever blinkers turn on. And the two wires that were connected before connect on and off with the blinkers too? My multimeter was set to beep when the two prongs were conductive and it was beeping to the beat of the blinkers. So I have no idea where I should go to get a solid blinker signal, since it looks like everything that has to do with the turn signals is affected by the flasher relay(or whatever makes it go on and off).
Sorry if this is a dumb question I just am stumped.

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
What are you trying to do what do you need a solid signal when the turn signals are on is this an aftermarket add-on for the cart are these LED lights maybe what you're trying to do is not necessary the best way

S1antt

I’m going to be using an arduino to make a light bar at the back of the canopy. It will serve as a brake light and make the blinkers animated like the blinkers on a mustang. Is there a better way to do this as you’re saying?

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Well the adrenal could look at the flash rate and if it's a hair longer then it would turn off what is your on-and-off rate put a timer in there and drive it out if it's more then 10ms off also you're going to need two inputs to know which direction you're turning and if they're both on you know that it's brake lights

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
My spelling is screwed up because I'm using voice typing I think you're measuring the voltage at the wrong places you should be getting higher voltage than .25 it could be that the meter is slow responding and there should be a solid signal at some point is there a circuit board in there controlling the lights do you have a schematic

S1antt

Yeah I couldn’t quite understand what you were saying in your second message, but I think my meter could definitely be slow it is a very cheap one. The owners manual has a schematic on the last page, it is the first one, click download and it’ll take you to a pdf in google drive. Owner's Manuals - Evolution Electric Vehicle

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Sorry I can't open it it keeps wanting to go to Google Drive I don't have one or don't know what the hell it is

S1antt

There is a picture of it for you. It looks like the signal has already gone through the flasher before the turn signal lever?

evolution-golf-cart-wiring-diagram.jpg

S1antt

On this cart I think the left and right brake light share a positive, then the horn and headlights share another positive.