Engine issues..won't start

R.K 1309

Need some help. Took the Ezgo out yesterday...started to lose power and slowly came to a stop. Now if I press the gas pedal all it does is turn the starter but does not turn over the motor(4 cycle) nor does the starter belt move. The cart was alittle low on oil,it has a full charge in the battery. Could the motor be seized or am I missing something else. Thanks for any advice

riverrat006

With the key off try to turn the motor using the clutch, if it turns the engine is not siezed. The starter/generator belt should have less than 1/8" inch deflection.

R.K 1309

Thanks for the info. Problem.....key is broke off in the on postion.Also noticed the belt is very cracked and has alot off play in it.

Just use the tip of another key to turn it off or disconnect the battery, you just wont to keep it from accidentaly starting up. It also sounds to me like there is too much play in the belt.I don't think these things will run with a loose belt like a car.

R.K 1309

Thanks for all of the advice. Well it would appear that the motor is locked up. Does anyone know what would be the best route to go...rebuild or buy a new motor? What vender would I deal with? Thanks for the help.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
sounds like the engine is seized, very common for the connecting rod to seize to the crankshaft journal.

divot61

hey RK, i have had the same problem with an old 804, 295 engine it locked up. i priced the parts peice by peice and it would be cheaper and much easyer to get a entire engine for about $1200. all the parts come to about $1100. then you have to put it all together
no.gif