Engine Identification

Den Socling

To begin my first post here, I'll say that I have never played a game of golf except for the miniature version. Secondly, I had never touched a golf cart until I recently bought a 97 Club Car DS. I only wanted something to haul friends and picnic supplies from our house to our picnic area along a creek. I wanted to spend less than $2000 so I ended up with this for $1200.

When my wife and I went to see it, it seemed a little odd. It has a manual transmission with 3 forward gears and reverse. It apparently has a centrifugal clutch.

I've been Googling the dickens out of this cart and can't find any information about identification of this engine. I can't even find out who built it. I don't think that it is original equipment since I see nothing like it in my searching.

driver's side 1.jpg

I did put a new carb on it after I found it was commonly used on a lot of small engines.

passenger side 2.jpg

top vieww.jpg

With the new carb, it starts instantly and runs well. I just want to keep it that way. I found a dipstick in a difficult location and it's full of oil but it's dirty. I don't see any oil filter but what's worse is that I don't see a drain plug. I've looked at the bottom but haven't jacked it up high enough to get under it yet.

So I have two questions. Who made this engine? Where is the darn oil drain. I guess I have three questions. Where do you refill with oil?

Den Socling

Here are some pictures of the cart.

clean 1.jpg

clean 2.jpg

I'm not sure that it didn't start out electric and somebody put the engine in when it needed batteries.

clean 3.jpg

clean 4.jpg

clean 5.jpg

I added the start button on the dash and you can see the gear shift in this picture. It looks like somebody hacked a slot for the gear shift. It surely wasn't a factory job.

clean 6.jpg

I believe it was worth $1200 but I want to get some clean oil in the engine. I'm guessing that 10W-30 would be correct? That is when I find the drain!

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
The engine looks like a honda ATV, i know some had reverse. The oil fill is most likely that chrome cap with the slot in it in the first picture. I would start there.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.

Den Socling

They are very popular little 124 cc engines. You can find them for sale all over the place. I see they are supposed to get premium gas (91 octane) and 10W-40. I'm feeling better about this cart all of the time.

Den Socling

From the research, I see that it is often available as Lifan 125 Semi Auto. It was originally a Honda engine that the Chinese ripped. Then I believe other manufacturers copied it again and again. Mine has zero branding but from the diagrams, I see that it is undoubtedly the same engine. They differ in the gearbox. For bikes, it neutral with 4 up. For ATV's, it's 3 forward plus reverse.