Engine Conversion Suggestions V-Twin Snowmobile or ATV

webn237

I have a 1988 ezgo marathon that I want to do an engine swap to make it faster. I would like to put a diesel in it but it looks like a pain to do. If I go with a gas motor is there any way to put a turbo or small supercharger on them? I guess I just want to see whats been done and whats the best way to go about an engine swap. I am new to golf cart engine swaps.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Well a diesel will do anything But make it faster, a 2 cycle snowmobile engine is the cheapest N fastest. No reverse but I guess it all depends what yer lookin' to do with it
twocents.gif

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
a 89 er newer rear diff has reverse in it and then you can do whatever you want. there around from time to time for 2 er 3 hundred.

CART-ZILLA

i would go with a vanny...honda's have a rev limiter built in the coils and to my knowledge there is no way to bypass it ...
twocents.gif

army

Greetings guys. This is my first post here.

I'm pretty sure the cut off year for the no reverse EZGO 2 cycle Marathons is actually 1993.5. Used 4 cycle transaxles are out there but it's a crap shoot locating them and you might have to buy a cart to get them. Starting in 2010, it took me 2 years to find an ME29 transaxle w/reverse for my 1990 EZGO then, as is usually the case, I found two more of them shortly after that. I also found a 4th one just last week. The first one I bought had nothing else with it, no shifter linkage or mechanism just the transaxle. The seller didn't know what it was out of so I wasn't sure it would even fit my cart but it bolted right up. The second one I found was in a mostly complete `93 parts cart and had a complete shifter setup. The third one was also in a `93 parts cart. It had an ME29 transaxle and shifter mechanism but the cables were gone. All three are the coil spring type. The 4th one is in a 1996 TXT parts cart and has everything needed. It's a leaf spring setup. I don't plan to let any of them go at the present time. Maybe later. Been burned in the past selling parts before making sure I didn't need them.

Long post for a first timer.. Sorry!