Electric motor problem

06z400rider

Hey guys, I have a 96 cc 48 v 3.1hp stock motor. It wouldn't pull hardly at all in reverse, but when in forwards, almost pop a wheelie! I already put a new controller, solenoid, cables and batteries. I knew it was the motor. Ordered a new 4 hp ge. Changed the motor, and the cart runs great now, even in reverse. Pulled the old motor apart. Windings are good, studs on motor seem fine. The brushes are grooved badly, and plenty of carbon dust inside. Cleaned up, reinstalled- same thing. Do you guys think brushes would make it work in reverse? I want to get it fixed and have it on the shelf in case I need it in the future. Thanks.

shadowman

if your not sure what might be wrong best thing is to take it to someone who is........might cost a few bucks but if you need it and its there it could make the difference between selling it or losing the job, i know if i,m not sure i,ll let someone who is tell me whats wrong whats the cost and than try and figure if its worth it..............................................
thumbup.gif

06z400rider

I don't know of any good electric motor shops, especially local to Northwest Arkansas. Also, I know a lot of guys will tell you it's junk and they'll take it off your hands. *WINK WINK* lol. They rebuild it and sell it. Anybody have any suggestions?

shadowman

every part to rebuild that motor is out there for sale and im assuming they make a kit for the DIY,s only issue isa they may be expensive, i have run into motors where it was cheaper to just buy a rebuilt motor they are out there for sale cheaper............take it to a elec. motor shop if you don,t like what they say or they term it so you don,t understand them leave..........you,ll find a place sooner or later...........but don,t let them just sell you a motor......................................
thumbup.gif