Electric Motor Horsepower Calculator

GarageBuilt

1200 amps.....265-volts .... Its hard to guess the efficiency of the motor so I did the watts thing.... Not 100% akrit but close....

I come up with 426 hp...

dougmcp

Unfortunately, the efficiency of a DC brush motor is not that easy or simple to calculate.
Most GC motors are in the neighborhood of 85% cold and degrade as the temperature of the motor increases. The decrease in efficiency is due to decreased resistance of the field coil wiring and decreased magnetic properties of the magnets. The speed of the motor is also critical concerning brush contact in feet per minute.
It's a pretty complicated process but if you'd like more info that will leave everyone but and electromechanical engineer seeing sideways. This is way more than I wanted to say except there's no real easy answer. :dazed:

GarageBuilt

Ok Doug how about this one .... And by the way..... That wasn't funny... I broke my calculator

amps (A) =1200 & volts (V)=265 then A X V = 318,000 watts (W) 318,000 x .00134 = 426.12 hp...

athomas03

GB, no way you could start out under that kinda power, no golf cart rearend could handle it. Also, 265v????? What voltage batteries are you runnin' or is this your surface charge or resting charge??? Maybe 216v charged to 265v. Are you planning on boosting once or twice til you get to full voltage by the end of the run? GB, you got to get to a race....I want to see some of this in action!

GarageBuilt

I am trying to put paddle tires on my outlaw cart.. Size of tire & how many paddles!!! But first I need to be close on the hp. All I have is the amps & the voltage....

MrWicked

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
i will try to get the formula from the techs at alltrax

but they are saying on paper 300 volts at 1100 amps is around 250 to 300 HP

yes we all know the hp drops and the we go down the track....

156 volts at 1380 amps is 175-200 hp

athomas03

Wicked, actually when u first stab it the voltage takes a big hit then comes back as you go down the track. Now sand may be a different story. But, the motor never gets all your resting voltage.

MrWicked

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
understandable....

but its like advance dc 7/11 motor is 11hp at 48 volts on paper or what they call electrical hp it always changes.....

MrWicked

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
hey adam with i only run 6 PC1200 for 72 volts would that be legal to race against you????

or ehat is the differences if i ran a parrellel pack of pc625 at 72 volts????

athomas03

Volts are volts are far as I'm concerned. If someone has the money to get more amps, get'em. Now unless the race has classes and says single pack. We've been bracket racing so it's equal no matter what you run.

GarageBuilt

This is the one I used... I just need to be close.... I'm looking for a starting point that's all.
----------------------------------------------------
Amps are a factor in calculating power, and so can be used to determine horsepower, but only when other factors are present.
Given other factors, you can find the horsepower. The easiest way is to determine watts by multiplying amps X volts. Next multiply watts by .00134 and you have horsepower.
If: amps (A)= 20 and volts (V)=120 then
A X V =2400 watts (W)
2400 watts X .00134 = 3.216 horsepower
--------------------------------------

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
i gotta throw this out here, ya can't tell me there are not dyno's setup for motors if not, one of you fellas should buy one and set the program off of stock motors anything gotta be better than all these numbers