electric ez-go 48volt swap

joeywurtz

I bought an electric ez-go golf cart to hunt with. After first trip to hunting club i ordered a motor and controller kit. I was not happy with my run time, so I bought a 48 volt solenoid new batteries and charger. I'm not very good with electrical stuff, but to save money I'll try anything! After hooking everything up, I only have reverse. If I put it in F or R the back up buzzer comes on and the cart goes in reverse. I'm not sure I hooked everything up correctly. there are 4 wires coming from the motor 2 smaller wires and 2 bigger wires. I know I have the 2 smaller wires correct (1 white, 1 black; they go to the controller) One of the big wires goes to the controller which i never disconnected so should be good. The other big wire i'm not sure where it goes. Should it ground to the battery or go to the solenoid? I really need help, but cant find a diagram that looks like my cart. Can anyone help?
Thanks

joeywurtz

Wow Thanks!! I think the cart is an 2001. I found a plate on the cart that had the serial # and also said F0106 I didn't know if it was the month and year making it an 06 or the first 2 made it an 01.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
No problem you're welcome. There's also links to the service manual for your cart in the EZGO resource section on the forum...

The first 2 numbers are the year so like you thought it's a 2001.

joeywurtz

well I did have the wires right now. I did have some wires wrong earlier and burned the diode on the solenoid and a wiring harness. I ordered another wiring harness for my alltrax controller and replaced the diode. the voltage seems good everywhere, the controller goes to a solid green light like everything is good. The only problem is that my cart goes into reverse no matter if I put it in F or R. Could the switch be bad, if so how can I test it? Is there a heavy-duty FNR switch that I should have put on when I swapped over to 48 volt?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Forward and reverse is controlled by the controller on a PDS cart. If you had it wired wrong and cooked the diode and the controller wiring harness it's possible there's a problem with the controller now. Are you 100% sure you have it wired correctly?

joeywurtz

i can't say i'm 100% sure about anything on an electric cart! lol. But based on that wiring diagram you sent me, I would say yes it is. And thanks very much for that by the way! I put the motor and controller on when it was still 36 volt, and ran it like that for several months. when I was told I could make it 48 volt, I changed the solenoid to 48, but was not real sure how to do that since they looked so different. But the only wires I unhook were the batteries and the solenoid, none off the controller. is there something i could check?