Electric 1998 Club Car DS 48v Won’t Run Desperate for Some Help!

Kkhensleh10

I have a 1998 Club Car DS 48v with no tow switch. Model # A9821-663781.

New batteries placed in it a week ago. Was told it was running 2 years ago before purchasing which not a surprise that it isn’t, about how that goes. New batteries, new Vglide, new OBC, and new micro switches. All I can get is a click of the solenoid when pressing on gas and no movement. I jumped the motor with a 12v in which I was able to get tires to turn. I’ve tested battery voltage clear back to the controller and carrying 48v all the way. I’m beginning to think the controller is bad, but wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions. Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 8

Jeff10456

new batteries come at about 75% charge
they need long charging and very short trips for 10 or 15 cycles before they are actually fully charged
some call it "break-in"

to determine the actual SOC the batteries must sit for about 12 hrs, not charging and not driving
Never discharge below 50% -- permanent damage causing shortened life and low performance will result

think of your battery pack as a sponge in a tall, narrow cylinder
when you pour water in it takes a while for it to soak down to the bottom
when you suck water out it takes a while for the lower water to equalize back to the top

StateOfChargePercentages.jpg

Kkhensleh10

Your cart would have come with a potentiometer and not a V-glide. If the potentiometer was replaced with anything it should have been a new potentiometer or better yet an MCOR, Attached is a parts manual for your cart. Wiring diagram on section 13 page14 and potentiometer is on section 13 page 22.

Interesting, I guess I don’t understand the difference. All wiring, parts, etc are exactly the same as the one I removed from it.

Kkhensleh10

Here’s the part number off the old one which I can’t find online anywhere. The only one that is really other there is the 101932003 which is what I put on.

Attachments

• IMG_1792.jpeg
    IMG_1792.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 0

Kkhensleh10

Does the red controller wire have 48v when everything is on (key, in gear, pedal down)

The yellow and green should read 5000 ohms between them and go to 0 as you press down the pedal.

Both are good there. 51v to red controller and continuity between yellow and green wires.

Golf Cart Wizard

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Potentiometer, MCOR, V glide

It doesn’t matter they all do the same thing

Club Car used them interchangeably, they had many variations over the years. As long as it is wired correctly and has the correct output for your controller it should work

Kkhensleh10

Okay, great. I feel like I’m missing something simple in all of this. Like I said I’m at the point where the controller may be my issue. Everything to the controller is as it should be.

Golf Cart Wizard

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Okay, great. I feel like I’m missing something simple in all of this. Like I said I’m at the point where the controller may be my issue. Everything to the controller is as it should be.
If you have the correct signals to the controller it likely could be. Put the multimeter between controller B+ and M-, should start at 0 and go to full pack voltage with the pedal down. If not and you’re sure all the inputs are good then the controller is bad.

Kkhensleh10

Tested that, when I first place leads in B+ and M- on the ohms setting I get 1500-1900 for a moment then instantly goes back to 0 without touching throttle.

Jeff10456

Tested that, when I first place leads in B+ and M- on the ohms setting I get 1500-1900 for a moment then instantly goes back to 0 without touching throttle.
GCW said :
If you have the correct signals to the controller it likely could be. Put the multimeter between controller B+ and M-, should start at 0 and go to full pack voltage with the pedal down. If not and you’re sure all the inputs are good then the controller is bad.

try it again on DC VOLTS

Kkhensleh10

Last question. Have any idea what controller I would need? Such as amps, etc. The sticker on the controller is faded off and can’t get model number.