E-Z-GO TXT With Lift Kit and 22 Inch Tires

Griz

I just purchased a 2000 E-Z-GO TXT with Lift Kit and 22 inch tires. The batteries were all replaced in 2010. I test drove it in a parking lot and felt that the speed was running at 10 mph. When I got home I took it into the woods and attempted to go up a 25 degree hill that was only 10 feet or so long. I got stuck towards the top and had to roll back down. It is a 36 volt system. So, what should I be looking at here to troubleshoot this? The seller said this evening that the was correct since it was a TXT and not a PDS. I will do a 48 volt conversion next year but need to fix this now before deer season in a week. Thoughts?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum.

If the batteries check out good I'd consider the following:

A higher amp controller, 4 gauge or larger (welding) cables, HD solenoid and HD buss bars in the forward and reverse switch to help with the torque. If your going to use the cart for hunting I'd do all of the above and a high torque motor like DS mentioned. :twocents:

Griz

I appreciate the advice. Is it wrong of me to expect the prior owner (cart dealer) should have known something was wrong? I can't imagine believing the cart can't go up a small hill yet thinking that nothing is wrong.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
On a stock series cart if everything is in good working order they should climb a decent size hill. They will slow way down but it should climb pretty well. A lot depends on how steep the hill is and how hard the ground is. Like DS said start with testing the batteries. One weak battery will cause the cart to lose a lot of torque. Are any cables, f/r switch or solenoid getting hot after you drive a while?

Griz

I charged the cart overnight and it still would not pull itself up the hill. I will have to pick up a voltmeter but do so soon. With regards to the water levels, I am checking those but to be honest, I am not quite what to look for there. I opened a few of the holes and can see plates and thus far the water has been above each of them. Does it matter how far above them the water is? I did not see a fill line etc.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
As long as the plates are covered your fine. If you add to much distilled water the batteries will leak acid during charging. If your going to add distilled water add it after a full charge and try to keep the level about half way between the plates and the sleeve that sticks down into the cell. Don't let the level get to low so the plates are exposed. If you find the plates exposed add water until the plates are just covered then charge and fill to the proper level after the charge cycle is complete. :twocents:

Griz

2 batteries had 1 cell where the water was below the plates. I topped all of the cells off so they were all about 1/4 inch above the plates. I'm now charging them again to see what we have.

Griz

Here is a picture of my f/n/r switch. If you notice, I have a red jumper from the bottom connection to the top. The bottom connection has a wire hooked up to it but it goes nowhere as it was cut off almost at the terminal.

I did manage to go up the hill today so that was a good thing! Any thoughts on the above?

Bob

Griz

I am working off an iPad and cannot get the picture to upload. Pic

Try the above link. It's to an old facebook group but anyone should be able to see it.

Griz

Oh the joys of an iPad! I realize it's a pain but if you do a search for "Chicago Area Classified" the picture is the only one there.

That's the link. If it still won't work then I can get a pic uploaded when I get in the office tomorrow.

Griz

I used a hydrometer on the batteries and every cell tested fine at full charge. I also tested the battery ank as a whole and was righ at 36v while turned off. I tested one individual battery and it was right at 6v but my multi tester is not digital so I can't get a x.x number. What voltage should I be looking for per battery while under load and while sitting?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Your going to need a digital meter to tell the condition of the batteries. At rest you should see 6.3 to 6.4 volts on each battery. Here's a chart that shows good individual and total pack voltage.
StateOfChargePercentages.jpg