E-Z-GO Needs Choke to Start

jettro32668

I have a 96 E-Z-GO TXT gas golf cart and have to choke every time to start. Even after engine hot on a hot day you in needs to be choked to get started, then runs great. New carb, premium gas, valves adjusted and just serviced but still have to choke (every so lightly) to get started. Any suggestions? Me and kids tired of pulling choke all the time.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
if your sure the valves are right then a other common problem is the main jet is a little to small. EZGO's run very lean so they can pass emission standards, install a larger jet and the problem is gone :twocents:

While the jetting could be a factor it sounds like it is sucking air somewhere between the carb and engine or the fuel pump (if it has one) is getting weak or the gas line is getting restricted in some manner.

Does the engine run fine with good power after you get it started? Was it always like this since you have owned it?

jettro32668

I got the cart used and it wasn't running. Had to put new carb on it. Runs great after you get it crunk until it switchs off completly, then choke to crank again.

Have you checked the compression to see if that is a concern?

Nubs it helping someone with a compression test here.

Just some VERY basic compression testing stuff.

The EZGO manual may have detailed specs.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
i agree that a compression test will give you a good idea of whats going on, i just assumed that it was done when it was serviced. valve and compression problems are very common in these engines

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
the compression is low, if you have run the engine for awhile since checking the valves i would check them again. once the valves start to go bad they won't stay set for very long. the 135lb cylinder is most likely on the drivers/clutch side, you may have to live with pulling the choke for now. the low compression will need to be dealt with in time :twocents: