E-Z-GO Golf Cart Beeping While Driving

BigHop

I have been a member and pretty avid reader for several months now and have found Cartaholics Golf Cart Forum to be wealth of knowledge. I haven't previously posted because of my limited skills and I haven't had a problem until now. I have a 2005 36 volt, stock E-Z-GO PDS golf cart with a speed chip and rear seat. It is used in my business and occasionally my granddaughters ride it around the neighborhood. It was last ridden on 25 May, after which the batteries were charged. Tonight my granddaughters took it out and within a few minutes brought it back and said it was beeping while driving. I took it for a spin and with the accelerator pressed it goes "beep, beep....beeep." Of course I immediately parked the cart and came here for help. It doesn't make the beep when coasting only when the pedal is pressed. Although I have read about putting it in "diagnostic mode" and listening for the beeps, I don't fully understand how to do this and since the cart has always run good I've never had the need to do so. Would someone please explain what might be happening? What the beeps mean and what I need to do to get them to stop? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
BigHop

rhgc

key off, forward/reverse switch in NEUTRAL, run/tow switch in run. when you press the pedal it is in diagnostic mode. first set of beeps is the chip.......second set is the fault code. if the girls were riding it and it started beeping, that beep sequence was the fault code. if it was 2-1 then i believe it is low battery voltage. the fault codes are on the cover of the controller (under the run/tow switch) they are also in the resourse section inder EZ-GO

BigHop

Thanks RHGC, I thought it had a full charge when they took it out but I'll charge the batteries now and see if I still get the beeps.

BigHop

rhgc

If one of the batteries goes bad it will also cause the low voltage fault code to register. I would charge the cart and see if that fixes the problem. If not check each battery.

Old Yeller

Hi. I am a newbie here, and just thought I'd share an almost similar problem, albeit with a very old Marketeer. Seems there aren't many electric VINTAGE carts out there, nor folks that work on them. We had started out the season with a full charge (we thought) on all batteries, but soon found we were "dead in the water" very quickly, and never did seem to get full power. After floundering around for a time, we "diagnosed" a battery problem, hauled the one at fault (we thought) into the battery store (some 150 mile trip), and they said it was fine. Last weekend, after much frustration, and still a cart that only clicked at us and wouldn't go, we found a wonderful guy.
His name is Lefty, he works out of Voyageur Village near Webster Wisconsin, and he consented to make a house call, diagnosed our problem as a DIFFERENT battery that was junk, replaced the battery and had us good to go without ever moving the cart. (We are using the cart at a trailer/resort for running up and down hills several times a day, and we were relieved not to have to trailer it anywhere.) We met up with this kind man again yesterday and gladly paid him!
Mostly, I think the whole business of batteries is a bigger pain than it should be. Where we bought our new ones late July 2008 took back the 'defective' one, is charging less now for the identical batteries new, and would not warranty the NEW replacement battery beyond the end of July this year. What a RIP. Happy riding, all.