Duramax Diesel Tuner

Clayboy

Anyone know anything about up-grading a diesel engine program? I got a 04 Duramax with Allison trans and want some more power. I pull a 28 foot 5th wheel and it does ok, but lacks a little on big hills and tight spots. I just got back from Myrtle Beach (600) miles of hard driving, and got passed by a few hot rods with campers. There are some programers out there that add up to 150 HP to my engine, I don't think I am ready for that yet. I know I will have to change exhaust and air intake for those. I was thinking about the ones that boost 40/70 HP.

spriddle

Post Decoder
I'm pretty sure Auto Zone or Advance Auto has the programmers that simply plug in without having to modify your exhaust or intake. Call them and O'reillys and check it out.

Clayboy

Have you ever used them? I'm kinda nervous about adding horse power to my truck. It's one thing to double hp on a golf cart, cause if I blow it all to pieces, that could be fun rebuilding it. Scattering a Duramax all over the road would not be my idea of a good time. Plus my truck has to run good, I need it to pull the carts around.

CrazyJohnny

i got the banks kit on my truck and love it. I only have the six gun and exhaust. you have to buy the intercooler if you tow. The truck overheats without an intercooler and that mean you have to go slow up hills. YOU must get a intercooler with the banks kit. I love it because with stock gearing and 35 inch tire i can do a burn out all the way through fourth gear

Clayboy

Thanks for the info CrazyJohnny. I like the looks of the Banks Big Hoss Bundle, but I ain't too crazy about the price. I was thinking more about only adding about 40 horse power to stay away from changing everything. I think with only adding about 40, the truck would keep from down-shifting so much and save a little gas when pulling the camper.
But I know how I am. If I add 40, I will want 80, then what the heck let's go on and do 150! I will prob end up with all the stuff anyway. I can talk myself into spending $500 for a chip, but just can't see going $2500 for the total package. I could really do some damage to my G-9 with that kind of cash. Got to keep things in line here, golf cart first and truck second!
Do I need to see a doctor for this kind of thinking?
Thanks again.