downloadable manual

racerjim0

My cart is running ok but would like to have a manual in my computer for when its not. I did not see one for my '83 in the forum. One question ya'll might be able to answer. What is the large device in front of the drive belt pulley attached to the rearend that has a cable from the carb going to it.The cable just moves an arm that only appears to touch the unit. Mine is disconnected and appears to have no affect. It almost feels like there might be a small magnetic pull on it but I might be wrong. Ive seen a picture in someone else post where theirs appears to be a white plastic unit where mine is a black steal unit. Thanks in advance!!!

ez chris

I am sure thats your governor cable. mine was never hooked up so i tore it off and through it in a box. I'm just careful not to over rev going down a hill. it's hard on the motor w/o that governor.As far as downloadable manual i have never seen one.I have an 84.

racerjim0

Thanks for the reply, I wonder how it works by just touching the unit, my x-ray vision ain't what it used to be!!!! I assume the arm that touches it shoud not be allowed to.

ez chris

I think how it works is. There is like a plastic cap over that clutch spring. I think that arm is attached to that and when the driven clutch goes in and out it moves that cable. But like i said mine was'nt hooked up when i got it .So I am just going off of what i could, I guess figure out by myself.

handyman4125

For anyone viewing this looking for info -

Yes, that's the ground speed governor. The accelerator pedal RELEASES the throttle which is spring loaded open. When the driven clutch spreads it contacts the end of the arm which pulls the cable and draws the throttle back toward idle speed. Setting it is simple - loosen the cable stop so the end of the cable at the governor arm is free. The end at the carb should have an end cap on it and the cable will be going through one of the holes on the throttle arm. Open the throttle fully and pull the cable snug. Set the governor arm so it is just touching the button at the center of the cap on the driven clutch. Secure the cable at the governor arm. During test drive, hold the accelerator pedal all the way down. The cart should go right up to max speed then the engine will slow down and the cart will continue at the same speed. Encountering a hill will cause the engine to speed up as soon as the cart starts slowing down.

I had to add a return spring to my governor arm to keep it from sticking in the "governed" position. Maybe there was one there originally, I don't know. but I have one there now. You can get a little extra speed by slacking the cable a bit, but too much slack on mine seemed to completely disable the governor function so I left it close to standard speed.