Doing a Vegas Carts 625cc Engine Conversion on 1997 EZGO TXT

ScottD1

I bought a cart that needed what I thought was minor engine work. After spending a fair amount of time troubleshooting with the expert help of Nubs it was decided the engine needed to be rebuilt. I decided to scrap that idea in favor of a Vegas Carts Big Block Engine Conversion. I am going to try to provide a diary of that engine conversion here.

I decided to remove the body since it would make everything a lot easier to access and I could clean it all up under there. 21 years of dust and dirt!

Using posts here on body removal I found it pretty straightforward and not difficult to remove the body. I was surprised how much dirt was built up in a lot of different areas. I removed the gas tank for that reason and found it creates a lot of space to work also.

Removing the fuel lines, electrical and unbolting the engine was not a big deal. I did find my new 1/2" Milwaukee cordless impact invaluable though! It makes the ubolts, spring shackles and other rusty bolts easy! I am also replacing the rear springs with heavy duty as I'm adding the flip down rear seat.

upload_2018-8-2_12-1-23.png upload_2018-8-2_12-2-10.png upload_2018-8-2_12-1-23.png upload_2018-8-2_12-2-10.png upload_2018-8-2_12-3-37.png upload_2018-8-2_12-4-33.png upload_2018-8-2_12-5-18.png upload_2018-8-2_12-6-12.png

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Going to be nice when it's done. Thanks for posting the pictures and keeping us updated on the engine conversion. Looking forward to seeing the progress. :thumbsup:

ScottD1

Here's the kit with all of the parts and the optional tach!
upload_2018-8-2_21-30-17.png

Cradle in temporarily as it worked out it would have been easier to connect the front bolt first then the u-bolts. Directions seemed to indicate doing it the other way though.

upload_2018-8-2_21-31-47.png

Cradle in
upload_2018-8-2_21-31-9.png

Motor mounting plate in. Very nice piece of metal!

upload_2018-8-2_21-33-16.png

Didn't look like it would fit!

upload_2018-8-2_21-34-9.png

But it does.
upload_2018-8-2_21-34-59.png

Getting the motor mount bolts in is a little bit of a challenge and I still need to cut the governor shaft off of the rear end. I was hoping it wouldn't be necessary but it looks like it will be. So far I'm very impressed with the quality of the materials provided! Tomorrow night I hope to get it running!

ScottD1

I think that is for the 460cc kit, it mounts the engine mount plate differently, the 625cc is a flat plate that sits on aluminum spacers. I have seen comments about vibration at idle but that it dissipates as rpm comes off of idle.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
I think that is for the 460cc kit, it mounts the engine mount plate differently, the 625cc is a flat plate that sits on aluminum spacers. I have seen comments about vibration at idle but that it dissipates as rpm comes off of idle.

The engine mount bolts on the cradle with spacers now yes? i saw there for the other model but just wondered why a guy could not use them if vibration was a issue:hattip:

ScottD1

Spacers are optional for exhaust clearance.... You might be able to but they would be tough I think. The "dogbone" they came up with to act as the nuts on the engine side of the mounting flange wouldn't work with those mounts and there is very little space between the mounting flange of the block and the mounting plate...

ScottD1

Got it in temporarily wired up and fired it up! Couple things before the pics and video. I forgot to mention previously that the wiring at the engine ends up short after cutting off connectors. I had seen that elsewhere and took care of connectors etc while it was on the bench made it much easier! I am a little concerned that the belt is loose and the engine is already all the way forward. Also the header pipe bracket does not bolt up where it's supposed to either. I have a couple of emails into Vegas Carts to get their input.

Now for the pics and video links.

upload_2018-8-3_20-48-32.png upload_2018-8-3_20-49-9.png upload_2018-8-3_20-50-10.png upload_2018-8-3_20-50-42.png upload_2018-8-3_20-51-32.png upload_2018-8-3_20-52-59.png

ScottD1

Doesn't seem bad to me... Not sure it's any worse than stock engine. I'll let you know when the body is on. It is surprisingly smooth for such a big single cylinder.