DIY Lithium Ion 56 Volt Golf Cart Battery Conversion

HarborCartGuy

I build “Warp Drive” conversion kits....14S lithium Leaf batteries. We install about one a day. Sophisticated BMS board, 4awg wires, and just a few other things. Yesterday we converted a totally stock 2004 36v Txt to a 12S (6 pk) unit, wires and “clean up” a few things. Fresh paint, 12” trailer tires 21” tall. Cart was a 13 mph start...finish was 23 mph. Cart weighs 720 pounds. Goes 20 miles on a charge.

Lloyd-ss

Harbor Cart Guy, The Lithium Ion batteries have so many advantages over the lead acid. Its good to know that people are doing the conversions.

Lloyd-ss

The cart only has 7 more miles on it since my last post. Had to catch up on stuff that went un-done during the cart conversion. Voltage is still good at 53.4 volts.

PARKING BRAKE

The brake pedal parking brake has always scared me with all the grand kids around. We have absolutely NO flat land and the cart will roll from just about anywhere you leave it. There is a piece of 2x2 in the cart that is always used as a safety chock, but you know how reliable that is. I'm afraid that brake pedal will get accidentally bumped and something seriously bad will happen.

This parking brake for $25 ppd off ebay did the trick. Used some 1/8" aircraft cable to connect it to the brake linkage. Now I just have to re-educate everyone on using the new parking brake. At least it will be harder to accidentally knock loose.

ParkingBrake.jpg

Lloyd-ss

TOE-IN ADJUSTMENT

This cart has always been twitchy above 12 or 15mph, but nothing looked bad or felt loose. I finally got around to measuring the toe-in, and I was kind of shocked. I carefully placed boards along the centerline of the front tires and checked the gap between the steel wheels and the boards to make sure I wasn't just measuring a bulge on a tire.

As you can see in the picture, the measurement across the front of the tires is 41-3/16" and the rear of the front tires is 42-1/2". I haven't looked for any specs, but 1-5/16" toe-in seems WAY too much.

What say you guys???
Thanks in advance!

-Toe-In.jpg

Lloyd-ss

Thanks Hot Rod, I'll do that in the morning. And that was actually an inch and 5/16 toe in! The steering wheel seems pretty well centered up right now, so I guess I just adjust both rod-ends the same amount to keep things straight, while getting the 1/16" toe-in?