DIY Lithium Ion 56 Volt Golf Cart Battery Conversion

Lloyd-ss

DAY 6 - MORE MUMBO JUMBO :blah:

I did about a mile and a quarter in the cart this morning but was thinking :hmm: how the charger had cut off a little prematurely yesterday at 55.6 volts. I knew it should have gone higher. So I was talking to my bike buddy :cheers: and he said I needed to finish the charging to really get the power and distance testing done correctly. Ok, sometimes you just need someone else to tell you. So I fiddled with the cut-off voltage in the charger and was able to continue charging the batteries to a full 57.1 volts. (Full enough for me, anyway.) After resting for an hour they stabilized at 57.0 volts. Significantly higher than the 55.6 volts from yesterday. Also, the charging added back in the amp hours I had used up this morning and then added an ADDITIONAL 9.8 amp hours. That means the cart is now fully charged with about 45.9 amp hours at 57 volts. (Technically, I'd need to use the average discharge voltage, but :blah: )
Ready to go for tomorrow.:drive:

Lloyd-ss

Day 7 (8-3-2019) of the Lithium Ion 2002 Club Car DS
DAY ONE OF THE FIRST FULL CHARGE
PERFORMANCE AND RUN-TIME RECORDING

The Li Ion batteries were fully charged yesterday, with a final voltage of 57.0 volts. Today is the first day of driving on that battery charge. The batteries will not be re-charged until they get down to about 48.3 volts, which is how far they can be safely discharged before approaching the battery damage zone. :no:
Data for Day 1
Start today at 57.0 volts, ended today at 55.5 volts, 3.14 miles traveled today, run time today 28 minutes.
7.43 Amp Hours used today. 411 watt hours used today. 131 watt hrs per mile.
Avg speed 6.81 mph, max speed 16.3 mph, max amps 126, run time today 28 minutes.

More data tomorrow. Lloyd

Lloyd-ss

Day 8 (8-4-2019) of the Lithium Ion 2002 Club Car DS
DAY TWO OF THE FIRST FULL CHARGE

The Li Ion batteries were fully charged on 8-2-2019, with a final voltage of 57.0 volts. Data is being recorded each day to see how the batteries perform until they are discharged to about 48.3 volts, which is the sensible lower limit for good battery life.

Data for Day 1 (Aug 3)
Start today at 57.0 volts (full charge), ended today at 55.5 volts, 3.14 miles traveled today.
Avg speed 6.81 mph, max speed 16.3 mph, max amps 126, run time today 28 minutes.

Data for Day 2 (Aug 4)
Start today at 55.5 volts, ended today at 55.3 volts, 1.16 miles traveled today, 4.30 miles total on this charge.
10.4 Amp Hours used on this charge. 573 watt hours used on this charge. 133 watt hrs per mile.
Total run time on this charge 38 minutes.

More tomorrow.

Lloyd-ss

Day 9 (8-5-2019) of the Lithium Ion 2002 Club Car DS
DAY THREE OF THE FIRST FULL CHARGE

The Li Ion batteries were fully charged on 8-2-2019, with a final voltage of 57.0 volts. Data is being recorded each day to see how the batteries perform until they are discharged to about 48.3 volts, which is the sensible lower limit for good battery life.

Data for Day 1 (Aug 3)
Start today at 57.0 volts (full charge), ended today at 55.5 volts, 3.14 miles traveled today.

Data for Day 2 (Aug 4)
Start today at 55.5 volts, ended today at 55.3 volts, 1.16 miles traveled today, 4.30 miles total on this charge.
10.4 Amp Hours used on this charge. 573 watt hours used on this charge. 133 watt hrs per mile.

Data for Day 3 (Aug 5)
Start today at 55.3 volts, ended today at 55.0 volts, 1.21 miles traveled today, 5.51 miles total on this charge.
13.7 Amp Hours used on this charge. 755 watt hours used on this charge. 136 watt hrs per mile.
Total run time on this charge 51 minutes.

I need to start putting some more miles on the cart each day, or this test is going to take forever. More tomorrow.

Lloyd-ss

Day 10 (8-6-2019) of the Lithium Ion 2002 Club Car DS
DAY FOUR OF THE FIRST FULL CHARGE

Data for Day 1 (Aug 3)

Data for Day 2 (Aug 4)

Data for Day 3 (Aug 5)
Start today at 55.3 volts, ended today at 55.0 volts, 1.21 miles traveled today, 5.51 miles total on this charge.
13.7 Amp Hours used on this charge. 755 watt hours used on this charge. 136 watt hrs per mile.

Data for Day 4 (Aug 6)
Start today at 55.0 volts, ended today at 54.5 volts, 2.02 miles traveled today, 7.53 miles total on this charge.
18.3 Amp Hours used on this charge. 999 watt hours used on this charge. 134 watt hrs per mile.
Total run time on this charge 64 minutes. Max speed today 18.9mph.
----------------------------
Just to re-hash :blah: what has happened so far on this full charge, during the first 4 days:
Starting voltage was 57.0 volts, voltage has now dropped 2.5 volts to 54.5. Final target voltage is about 48.3 volts, which is another 6.2 volts to go.
Total miles traveled so far is 7.53 miles.
Looks like a lot more miles to go. o_O

Lloyd-ss

3/4" Front lift spacer
Removing 300 pounds of battery weight from the cart made the rear end rise up a little more than the front. To compensate some, I made a front spring shim spacer out of 3/4" thick x 3" x 10" aluminum. The side-to-side adjustment bolt didn't want to work with the 3/4" thick spacer, but it was convinced to do so. I used a little 9" torpedo level against the outside of the front wheels to make the camber the same on both sides, just about neutral. I hadn't even thought about that being an issue until I took it apart. Three dollars worth of nice new bolts, and the aluminum was already on hand. Cheap and dirty., assuming the steering geometry is ok with the 3/4" change.

3-4-Frt-lift.jpg

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
Get the thing out on the road to have some full speed runs it should be able to put some miles on it and use less power at full speed maybe 10 miles

Lloyd-ss

Get the thing out on the road to have some full speed runs it should be able to put some miles on it and use less power at full speed maybe 10 miles

I wish it were that easy. I live on a narrow twisty 2 lane country road with lots of traffic. :stop:
Might be able to squeeze in a few extra miles when traffic is light.

Lloyd-ss

Day 11 (8-7-2019) of the Lithium Ion 2002 Club Car DS
DAY FIVE OF THE FIRST FULL CHARGE

Data for Day 1 (Aug 3)

Data for Day 2 (Aug 4)

Data for Day 3 (Aug 5)

Data for Day 4 (Aug 6)
Start today at 55.0 volts, ended today at 54.5 volts, 2.02 miles traveled today, 7.53 miles total on this charge.
18.3 Amp Hours used on this charge. 999 watt hours used on this charge. 134 watt hrs per mile.

Data for Day 5 (Aug 7)
Start today at 54.5 volts, ended today at 53.0 volts, 3.52 miles traveled today, 11.05 miles total on this charge.
26.8 Amp Hours used on this charge. 1,448 watt hours used on this charge. 131 watt hrs per mile.
Total run time on this charge 1 hour and 28 minutes. Max speed today 26.7 mph (going down hill way too fast:banana:).
4.0 volts used so far on this charge, which leaves about 4.7 volts to go, so we are about half way there. (Start at 57.0 volts and end at 48.3 volts.)
=========================
Diode, I actually did drive a little over 2 miles on the road this evening. Had a big day-glo orange safety reflector on the back, and luckily encountered only one car.
My Electric bike guru buddy paid me a surprise visit yesterday before lunch. On his E bike. His house is about 40 miles away and he still had another 6 to go to where he was having lunch, and then, the trip home. A typical ride for him. Said he has his electric bike set for a top speed of 32 mph, so I guess he'd be passing me. We were patting each other on the back about how cool our rides were. :thumbsup:

Diode

My 06 president will do 35 on flat ground code 5 a speed motor and 22 inch tires

Lloyd-ss

My 06 president will do 35 on flat ground code 5 a speed motor and 22 inch tires
Ha, ha, I was wondering who was sneakin' around my house taking pictures! :whistling:

When I had the cart up on a floor jack to put the 3/4" spacer in, I noticed that both front tires spun around to find their serious heavy side. They definitely need some balance weights and I could feel it at 26mph. Besides getting the motor make it go 35, there must be other stuff to do to keep it safe and stable??

Diode

Allsports a arm lift adjusted correctly
Really no other problems it’s a little top-heavy doing 35 around the corner but on the straightaways It’s great

Diode

Do you remember who you got your batteries from looking at $100 a cell also BMS Systems are less than $20 and most being under $10 so even if there is conflicting information it might be worth getting I am going to follow your lead on an 09 president that the batteries have been out of for a year now. Getting a new charger and batteries with BMS is looking to be cheaper than lead acid batteries alone

Lloyd-ss

This Tech Direct Club on ebay is where I got mine. A lot less than $100/8v module. I see they now sell little modular 48v setups with BMS, meter, and case. Slick for somebody who is a little intimidated. This listing is a 14 module pack, but I only have 7 modules in mine. The 7 modules are working fine for me with a nominal 56 volts. 14 modules would let you parallel them for twice the amps.... if you really need that many amps. They will configure whatever you want: 6, 7 modules, whatever. Shipping is cheap or free and their reviews are good. You also need some spacers that go between the edges of the modules and some buss bars. I made buss bars out of flattened 1/2" O.D. soft copper tube. The spacer plates are 1/8" thick stainless steel. I think you could make the spacers out of 1/8 pvc or abs sheet. They keep the edges of the modules apart, but the centers of the modules should touch each other. I don't have a BMS and don't think it will be necessary because I will be recharging often and keeping the batteries in their 20-80% SOC range after I finish the performance testing. If you stay in the 20-80 range, the batteries behave very well and last forever. I will spot check the cell balance periodically for peace of mind. BTW, after the 2 mile run on the road yesterday, the batts and everything else did not feel too warm. I am using 2 gauge cable with soldered lugs.

Lloyd-ss

Day 12 (8-8-2019) of the Lithium Ion 2002 Club Car DS
DAY SIX OF THE FIRST FULL CHARGE

Data for Day 1 (Aug 3)

Data for Day 2 (Aug 4)

Data for Day 3 (Aug 5)

Data for Day 4 (Aug 6)

Data for Day 5 (Aug 7)
Start today at 54.5 volts, ended today at 53.0 volts, 3.52 miles traveled today, 11.05 miles total on this charge.
26.8 Amp Hours used on this charge. 1,448 watt hours used on this charge. 131 watt hrs per mile.
Total run time on this charge 1 hour and 28 minutes. Max speed today 26.7 mph (going down hill way too fast).

Data for Day 6 (Aug 8)
Start today at 53.0 volts, ended today at 52.1 volts, 1.95 miles traveled today, 13.00 miles total on this charge.
32.22 Amp Hours used on this charge. 1,731 watt hours used on this charge. 134 watt hrs per mile.
Total run time on this charge 1 hour and 48 minutes.
4.9 volts used so far on this charge, which leaves about 3.8 volts to go, so we are past the half way point to the ending voltage of 48.3 volts.
==============================
So HotRod, has this got you thinking, too?

FYI, It seems like the lithium ion batteries are more commonly rated in Kilo Watt Hours instead of amp hours. The KWH rating is more truthful because it takes into account the falling voltage as the battery is discharged. Based on performance to date, It looks like my 7 module battery pack, will put out a total of 2,500 to 3,000 watts, or 2.5 to 3.0 KWHr on a single charge, but the testing will give us the answer in a few more days.