Dead

Bismark

Had a small problem with a leak in my gas line which was compounding my problems but now back to the original going dead.

Went to start it today and dead again (would happen once in awhile and then start). Let it set awhile and tried again but again nothing except some clicks coming from the solenoid area.

Battery checks 12.31. Wire to solenoid is 12.31. Wire out of solenoid with gas pedal engaged is 9.1 which then starts immediate drop. Jumped two black wires on battery with no result.

Bismark

Didn't start today, jumped the two posts, there was a number of "clicks" from the solenoid, then starter went.

I guess that confirms solenoid ?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
if you jumped the two large posts, left/right you are bye passing the solenoid, and the starter should turn right a way "no clicking" will come from the solenoid.
make sure that your jumping the to large posts! if the starter won't turn by the jump the starter brushes are the likely problem.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If the battery voltage is dropping to 9.1 volts when you pres the gas pedal either the battery is bad or the brushes are shot in the starter/generator. Or you have a bad connection somewhere. Check the ground wire that connects to the frame at both ends...

Low voltage or a bad connection will cause the solenoid to click...

Bismark

Just went dead again this morning, voltage at battery and battery wire going into the solenoid are 12.4. ON the solenoid post next to the live line (line goes to post on side of starter) with pedal depressed, reads 10.5 and drops. No clicking noises this time.

Hooked an external battery to negative post and live line on side of starter, still nothing (I would think that the starter should turn over regardless of other problems ?).

Bismark

I would think that no response after bypassing the starter, good ground, would seem to point to the brushes ............. was looking for some confirmation before I started tearing it apart.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
You can get at one or two of the plugs/inspection holes in the starter to see what the brushes look like without pulling the starter. Like pizzamaker said when you jumped the two larger posts on solenoid the starter should have turned if everything else is in working order. You can also try turning the starter by hand a little then try starting the cart. If it starts that's usually a sign of worn brushes or armature...

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Glad you got it fixed and thanks for the follow up...
biggrin.gif