Dead Batteries

regwL

A few days ago my cart stopped then started again. I checked water level in batteries and found them low. I towed cart to garage where batteries were topped off and charger attached. Charger shut off the following day. Batteries were all reading 8.23v. Went to use cart today and it does nothing, but batteries are still at 8.23v. Any suggestions on troubleshooting this problem? Run-tow switch is in correct position.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
8.23 volts is pretty low for a fully charged 8 volt battery but should be enough for the cart to run. Did you put the run tow switch in the tow position when you towed the cart?

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
There is a resistor across the two big terminals of the solenoid is that resistor getting hot just sitting there
There are five inputs that need to be made before the cart will move
1 obc
2 Mcor sw
3 Mcor reostat
4 forward reverse sw
5 run tow switch
These inputs can be checked on the 16 pin connector at the controller

regwL

There is a resistor across the two big terminals of the solenoid is that resistor getting hot just sitting there
There are five inputs that need to be made before the cart will move
1 obc
2 Mcor sw
3 Mcor reostat
4 forward reverse sw
5 run tow switch
These inputs can be checked on the 16 pin connector at the controller
Hmmmm! I will need help on this, way over my head.

regwL

I went out to the cart awhile ago to begine getting familiar with electrical components. Since I had left my meter laying there I did a quick check of batteries. Each battery has lost a volt since checking last day or so, 7v down from 8.23v. Across the pack it shows 48v. How can that be? Are these reading poor enough to cause cart to not move? I hear no click either when pedal I depressed. I though I heard a click when first depressing pedal but only one time, if at all.

regwL

Sorry Diode, health issues have kept me from following up. I plan to get back on it today checking your first suggestion, and get this back up and running.

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
Have someone go out unplug the charger and plug it back in or else the batteries may be dead and ruined
Hope you feel better

regwL

Thanks Diode, just old age! I have had the charger unplugged. Just checked the pack and it is holding at 48v with each at 8.23v. I may have had the scale too high when I read 7v the other day. can't get to solenoid without some dismanteling but I did feel around for any warm wires, in neutral and in forward. Nothing is warm.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
StateOfChargePercentages.jpg

regwL

I gave up! Made arraignments to have a shop troubleshoot for me. I might be too old to figure out this problem.

regwL

In case I need batteries what is the average AH for decent service and life to shop for? I understand 170 A is best but is it necessary to have that much? I normally use my cart for running around town 1-2 times/wk about 4-6 hours total.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Just make sure the batteries you buy are golf cart batteries. Trojan and US Battery are probably the best two and also the most expensive. Interstate golf cart batteries are decent and I've heard they are now made by Trojan but I haven't confirmed that. Sam's Club and Costco have the cheapest golf cart batteries theat I know of.