Dash meter <> Charger

PTC-Yamaha

PROBLEM:
I charged my G22E overnight. The charger light is now green, denoting a full charge. The charge meter on the dash has not moved from about 25%.

Which is correct? Is there a simple way to reset the dash meter?

HISTORY:
The cart sat for two months (apparently with a full charge) because the 3 amp fuse in the back was blown. I thought the batteries were dead even though the dash meter showed a full charge -- but nothing was working. I finally downloaded a wiring diagram and found the 3 Amp fuse. I changed the fuse and drove the cart around the city (Peachtree City). I returned with a 25% charge, so I charged it. That is when the above problem began.

dougmcp

What kind of meter do you have on the dash, LED or analog?

Get a digital voltmeter and post your total pack voltage.
A full charge on a 36v bank should be 38.2v or more and a full charge on a 48v bank should be 51.9v or more.

dougmcp

The LED meter should self reset every time the charger completes it's cycle.
You can also do a hard reset by disconnecting the 2 or 3 wires to it and count to 10 then reconnect.
This should only be done when the batteries are at full charge or you will get a false reading.
If you reconnect the LED meter with a partial charge it will likely register as a full charge.
You can get digital voltmeters at Harbor Freight for $5.

PTC-Yamaha

OK - got the voltmeter. Now, maybe I'm doing something VERY wrong, but when I check the voltage of each battery (using 200 Vdc), I get 22.7 V. When I check the entire pack, I get 135.9. What's up with this? BTW - six 8V batteries (48V total).

dougmcp

You definitely have something peculiar going on.
200vDC is the correct scale, are there more than 1 place to put the probes? One should be in the "common" and one in the "volts, ohms, mA", there may be another with a 10A on it, not that one.
Your individual batteries at 100% charge should read around 8.49v and the pack should be around 51.1v.
Make sure the battery in your meter is good.
Start with a known value like your car battery, it should be around 12.75.

PTC-Yamaha

Tested the Voltmeter - bad. Borrowed a friend's; all batteries at 7.9 V. I reset (unplugged / replugged) the LED meter and it now shows full. Hopefully this is the end of it.

Thank you, dougmcp, for your help.

dougmcp

If your batteries are at 7.9v they are only 30% charged.
You need to get your batteries to 100% charged, you need 8.49 per battery or about 51v for the pack. After the pack gets to the correct voltage your LED meter needs to be reset again if it doesn;t do it automatically during the charge cycle.

PTC-Yamaha

OK - then it looks like the batteries will not take a charge. I plug the charger in, it kicks on and tells me it is charging. I return the next morning and the green light on the charger tells me the charge is complete. This has been repeated four times, but the batteries continue to show a 30% charge.

Any ideas?