Cutting out

I have a 1990 EZGO 2 stroke its been sittin in a barn for about 12 years . Got it out, got it runnin, seems to run good other then when you get it almost full throttle then it looses power. It dont seem like its a carb problem. What could it be ?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Welcome
tip.gif

most likely the rev limiter is kicking in, when it does the engine will start to miss.

COPB

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
Then you let it sit a few and it runs again?
Clean the carb and take a compression test.

To clean the carb, take it off, take all the screws out spray with carb cleaner, run a wire from a bread twist tie through all the little holes, then blow it out with compressed air. Important step. Compressed air.
When you take it apart, first screw the needle valve in and count your turns. It will be about 1 1/4 turn. When you reassemble, seat the valve and turn it out the same number of turns.
Cleaning the carb is easy. Anyone can do it.

COPB

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
Could be.
yes.gif

I just assumed it shut down.
dazed053.gif

After sitting for 12 years, it needs the carb cleaned anyway.
wink.gif

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
I'm with ya brother
tip.gif
just figgered he'd done that since he doesn't think it was a carb problem
dazed053.gif

COPB

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
My first cart was a 2 stroke E Zgo that had sat a few years. It kept running itself out of gas, but I could not get it into my head it was the carb because the damn thing would go like a bitch in reverse. I was told it was the carb, but I just could not get it through my head. Then I cleaned the carb and did not use air. So I thought that proves it's not the carb. Finally I used compressed air and that did the trick. Duh!! I still don't know why it would work so good in reverse. Just a bug-a-boo, I guess.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
it ran better in reverse because the timing was most likely set more advanced for the opposite rotation
thumbup.gif

COPB

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
What I was trying to say, was, it would run itself out of gas in forward and I would have to choke it like hell. But in reverse, it ran just fine. I could probably drive it all day in R with no problems.
dazed053.gif

Well, enough about my old E Zgo. Hope 1990 EZ gets his cart going.