Cushman Golfster Golf Cart Does Not Have Much Power

theguestimater

Hello,
I am a new member and brand new to golf carts.
I just received a '75 Cushman Golfster golf cart. Really getting in to it. Spending a little amount of money to restore and make it not look like a golf cart from the '70,s. Anyway it runs okay, but just does not have much power. I live in the country and have small hills on my property. The cart barely makes it up.
Could this be the motor or maybe the batteries? Or maybe that the golf cart is almost as old as I am.
Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum...

I believe in 75 Cushman made a 24 and a 36 volt cart. How many batteries does your cart have and what voltage are they?

It could be the motor or the batteries. Give it a full charge and then take voltage readings on the individual batteries. Ride the cart for an hour and take the voltage readings again and post your numbers...

theguestimater

There are 6 batteries. Should be 6 volt each, right?
I will do the troubleshooting you had recomended and get back with you.
Thank you for the reply!

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
No problem...

They should be six volt. I just wanted to be sure which voltage cart you have. Let us know what you find after you check the battery voltages...

theguestimater

Hello again,
I have a lester battery charger. It hums pretty loud. Is this normal.
Also, it has the timer control. Don't think the amp gauge works properly, but how can I know for sure the batteries are getting fully charged?
Thanks.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The chargers can be pretty loud so I'm sure it's normal.

Here's a battery chart that gives the state of charge percentages. A 6 volt battery is fully charged at 6.37 volts. That would be an hour or so after the charger shuts off. The chaging time will vary depending on how low the pack is run down and the age of the batteries. A 36 volt pack at 50-70 percent charge can take around 6-10+ hours to charge.

StateOfChargePercentages.jpg

cheeze

Guestimater. Out curiosity (hope that is spelled right), what kind of cushman do you have? The reason I ask is I have a 74 cushman that has the same issues and I agree once you are moving it is not fast at all and has low power, but initial take off I can make the tires squeal on concrete if I want. I would like to know what kind you have because I have no idea what mine is. From what I gather mine is either a golfster or a gran cushman?????dunno! The model # is 898110-7410. Sorry for the thread hi-jack.

theguestimater

Say Cheeze,
How's it going? Yes, my cart is a 1975 Cushman Golfster.
I charged and tested the batteries like the great guys on the forum told me to do. Everything tested normal with my volt meter. Batteries are fairly new. It still has no top end power. Going up the slightest incline is goes about only 6mph.
If anybody has any ideas what to do, PPPlease let me know. I need more power. It's an oldie but a goodie.
Thank you
And Cheeze, let me know if you have any other ??? regarding your cushman.

cheeze

Hot Rod and Guestimater thanks for the info. I am currently stripping this thing down for a new paint job and I love the styling, it has the essence of the 50's and I will paint it accordingly. I have come across a new issue though. Now this thing wants to go at all times except when I put it in neutral. I can have the key on or off and it still wants to go. What could this problem be. Go easy on me I am new at this game, I can usually fix anything as long as I know what it is that needs to be fixed. Thanks again guys.

P.S. Guestimater I think it is just the design of the cart to not have any power other than take off from dead stop. My cart has all new batteries (2 months old) and it will spin on take off, but it is a turd otherwise.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
cheeze,

It sounds like your solenoid is stuck. You can try tapping on it to get it to release for a temparary fix.

theguestimater,

Like cheeze said the slowing down going up hill is the nature of the beast. Make sure your batteries are all good and you have good cables and clean/tight connections.