Converting a 36 Volt Golf Cart to 48 Volts

hitmanharleyk

Ok I've pretty much decide I'm converting my 36 volt golf cart to 48 volts before summer. How much improvement should I expect in run time, torque and speed (I have a DCX400 controller already)?

Also, when I got home today, I unplugged the battery charger and checked the voltage for each battery right then. 5 read between 6.44 and 6.46, the other one was 6.38. Should I be concerned about that one battery considering it is less than 3 months old? Or should I wait a couple of hours after a full charge and see where it stands?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
You should get about a 25% increase in speed by upgrading to 48 volts.

The battery with 6.38 volts is weaker than the others. Any accessories hooked to that battery? Does it need water? 6.38 volts is fully charged but it should read higher like the others right after charging. You could charge it seperatly with a 6 volt charger to bring the voltage up, then keep an eye on it to see if it stays balanced with the rest of the pack.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Next time you charge the batteries do a individual voltage test near the end of the charge cycle ( charger amp meter under 5 amps) and see if that battery reads a lower voltage than the rest. If they all read the same they should be fine...