Converting a 2004 Club Car Precedent from Electric to Gas

NMRVer

NEW HERE. I'm Converting a 2004 Club Car Precedent from electric to gas, starting with replacing the electric rear axle assembly with a gas assembly.
Has anyone on the forum done something similar? I've seen a lot of using the electric rear axle, but I need reverse. I bought a new unitized rear end for a Club Car DS, and need to know which way it gets installed.

A. Driven convertor pulley to left or right side of cart?
B. Does it need a clockwise or counter clockwise rotation?
C. Does it matter if I install in backwards? Forward is Reverse and Reverse is Forward? I know there is a difference in gearing, but would it hurt the rear axle running it in the wrong direction?

Thanks for any input. Just want it right for wife.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
A - The clutches are on the right side
B - That will depend on what year the gas Club Car the rear end is from (See C)
C - A few years back a lot of people were installing clockwise rotation engines in Club Cars that were originally counter clockwise without isssues to the rear end. Club Car changed to clockwise engine rotation in 1997 and up. If I was doing the electric to gas conversion I would look for the rear end designed for the engine rotation you plan on using.

NMRVer

Thanks, my engine is a Lifan 420cc with CC rotation. If I turn engine with torque convertor on right, it'll be a clockwise rotation. Rear end and Cart are early 2000's so this will work out perfectly. Thanks what a load off my chest.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
No problem, you're welcome. Keep us updated on how the electric to gas conversion goes on your Club Car Precedent.

BobInOK

When you get a chance send me a list of the parts you have left over. I have a 65 Cushman Golfster 3 wheeler I would like better electrics on.

NMRVer

I thought I would post some of my progress. This is the before photo. It's a nice cart but doesn't meet my needs. I need something to carry 4 people 30+ miles in the sand (beach). When electric it bogged down way to much, and we bottomed out a few times. So I decided to change it.

Photo 2 is an update of my progress.
I don't know if you can read the test on the photo, so here it is:
1. Added a engine mount sway arm for engine and rear axle.
2. Installed a new unitized rear axle with new brake assemblies.
3. Installed a Jake's Double A-Arm lift kit with new 23" off-road tires.
4. Lifan - 15hp 420cc motor using Comet series 40 torque convertors.

There's a lot more items to add, but first I need to finish building the metal frame to replace the plastic battery compartment under the seat. The front end is on to show difference between old and new.

I have all the original parts, electrics, complete rear end, original suspension if anyone is interested for cheap.

Attachments

• golf cart.jpg
    golf cart.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Golf Cart #2.jpg
    Golf Cart #2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 12

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Nice work! Feel free to post any of the take off parts in the for sale section of the forum there's always member her looking for Club Car parts.