Convert Electric Golf Cart to Gas Engine

johnny05lars

I have an old electric golf cart that I want to convert to a gas engine in. I found an old Kohler K241A motor and cvts and rear end. Everything was still attached to the old golf cart frame and Im having some trouble finding an electrical diagram. I would like to use this engine but I can't get it running without knowing the electrical schematics. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!! Thanks in advance!!

Johnny

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Welcome to Cartaholics Golf Cart Forum. :hattip:

pretty easy, 12v to the + side of the coil and a solenoid to run the starter.

johnny05lars

thanks nubs!! Ive tried to put 12vdc directly to the starter and it will turn but it is very slow. So, Im not sure whats going on with this thing. Like I said in the above post, this motor is mounted in the frame and all of the limit switches are there but everything is in pretty rough shape. I have some work to do on this one for sure. The spark plug was stripped out of the head so Im not sure what im gonna do with that yet. Does anyone know the thread size of this spark plug hole?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
it should 14mm on the plug, most auto parts stores sell helicoil thread repair kits for spark plug holes. :thumbsup:

johnny05lars

thanks again Nubs!! Do any of you know of any schematics or pictures that might have some wiring for an older Cushman cart?? I think that this motor came out of a Cushman, and I am needing some pics or schematics. thanks

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
can ya post a picture of what yer workin' with and maybe we can get a better idea of what ya got

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
If it was me I would just rewire it to start and charge :dazed: what else does a guy need. the diagram posted will get that done for ya

johnny05lars

Yeah it looks very similar to that pic. Thanks Nubs!!!!!!!!! I think that I found a link that has a better electrical schematic but I havn't had any time to mess with it. I will let you know what I find out.

Do you have a better pic of that diagram? I can't make out what the 2 switches on the left are? thanks again Nubs!!

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
you can disregard the two on the left, one is a generator light and the other is a cigarette lighter.

johnny05lars

Thanks again Nubs for the help. I had a chance to mess around with the motor on Saturday and got er running. Now time to put it in my other cart!!!! thanks and I'll let you know on my progress.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
yep, the voltage regulator will put the generator in charge mode when the rpm's come up.

johnny05lars

Well I decided to switch gears. I traded off my quad for a 1990 par car instead of messing around with putting the kohler into the electric cart. I know that I will get more use out of the cart than my wheeler!!

Is anyone familier with the governor on this year par car? And whats a good 2 stroke oil to use? thanks in avance

johnny

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
i like to run a throttle cable right to the carburetor, yamalube will never let ya down :twocents:

premixin' the oil and gas is the best