Complete Charge

airmeckus

Hello,
I have an 48 volt 04 club car, It is about 2 years old. I have noticed that it does not complete its charge even after 10-16 hrs or more. It gets to about 5 amps, but the charger does not shut off.
I have checked and have the full 48volts after unplugging it. It used to complete the charge, any ideas?
Thank You

dougmcp

Do you have 4x12v batteries or 6x8v batteries?
You may have a bad battery that is not allowing the charger to come up to it's shut off voltage.
Get a digital voltmeter and post up the battery voltages of each battery after a charge session and a resting an hour. Post the numbers and we may be able to figure it out.

golfdog

The system is designed to switch off after 16hrs even if the batteries are not fully charged, to prevent damage to the batteries. If the charger completed the initial switch on procedure but fails to switch off even after 16hrs you may have a failing OBC or a faulty relay in the charger. The first test is to make sure all the batteries are in good order.

shadowman

sounds like its either battery time if your only getting to 48 volts you should be in the 55 volt range so test and load test batteries......the other thing i have been noticing is on the newer carts when the OBC goes bad the charger won,t shut off.................also just one battery going will cause it ...........................................
thumbup.gif

airmeckus

Hi
And thank you for the response.
I actcually checked them after I had driven for awhile. I have 6, 8volt batteries. And all read 8.1- 8.3 volts. The total after the drive was 48.7. I will check them again after next charge. Also what is an OBC ? And can you buy the relay or OBC?

shadowman

OBC on board computer controls charging cycle, the relay in the charger you can buy but chances are nothing wrong with it your just bypassing to see if charger will work.......................
thumbup.gif

airmeckus

Adding some new things I have noticed. I got batteries down enough to charge again and put on the charger. At 16hrs charger is still on showing 5amps, batteries bubbling like a S.O.B.,
the cart charge indicator never did come on. I also noticed a significant power loss when out driving yesterday befor the charge. I will wait 24hrs to check the voltage on the batteries.

dougmcp

Sounds like you have 1 or more bad batteries that won't come up far enough to allow the charger to shut off and you're cooking the rest of them.
I would volt check all the batteries after a drive and you may be able to spot any troubled ones.
Here is a SOC chart to help you.

StateofChargeChart.jpg

gunnarman

I have a 04 also that is having the same problem.I bought new batteries, new cables and the charger will not turn off. The local club car dealer checked the batteries an dthe OBC and still could find nothing wrong. I have cleaned the chagerer plug, checked all connections and even tried another charger and still the same result.
Any suggestions?

gunnarman

After doing some research I found that I had to wake the computer up by driving it, then let it charge. It finally shut off. I was plugging the charger in without running my cart or waking the computer up as they said. I pluggrd my charger into a friends cart and it did the same thing- wouldn't shut off. Now both carts are working fine. Thanks for your responses.