Columbia Golf Cart Carburetor Issue

basshawk

I have a 86 Columbia gas golf cart and the person I got it from removed the stock gas tank and replaced it with a smaller tank that is located higher than the carburetor. The issue I have is when i shut it off and go back to the golf cart the fuel fills up the engine and floods it out. Has anyone run into this problem before? Also if the tank is above the carburetor does it still need the fuel pump?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum...

If the pickup or outlet in the gas tank is higher than the carburetor you need to put a shutoff valve in the gas line and shut it off when ever you're not using the cart... Can you lower the tank so it's lower than the carb?

basshawk

The gas tank is very small and the outlet is in the bottom it would be hard to mount it below the carb it only holds 2 gallons. Do you know where I could get a gas tank? The person mounted it on top of the rear shock support.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I'm not sure where you can find a tank for a 86 Columbia. You could try posting in the wanted section here and see if anyone can help you out. Other than adding a shut off valve to the gas line or changing the tank I'm not sure what you can do to correct the problem with your current setup. You could make a gas tank for it.

Hiperf2007

Simply try making your own? If the pump pumps, should be pretty easy going to fleet and picking something up and drilling a hole using a rubber grommet and running something down into the tank. They make smaller poly tanks that do hold up to gas.