Club Cart New Batteries Draining Quickly, Not Fully Charging

JohnnyFast

Hello Everyone,

We recently purchased a used Club Car 1988 36 volt golf cart. We got a good deal on it and the owner said it needed new batteries.

So we purchased 6 new Brute Force batteries and runs a lot better. However I took it out for a spin earlier, the batteries were at 70%.
Rode around for about 30min and I noticed it was slowing down and seem to be draining quickly. Went back home put a battery reader on it and all the batteries were drained to 1%!

Put it back on the battery charger but it seems the charger can't charge the batteries past 70%. Could it be we have a bad charger? The charger we're using is a Lestronic II come with the cart and it works but looks pretty old. It makes noise when connected but not sure what's happening here.

Thanks in advanced!

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Are you letting the Lestronic II battery charger run until it shuts off on it's own? What kind of meter are you using to show the battery charge percentage? Are the Brute Force batteries you bough 6 volt golf cart batteries?

JohnnyFast

Batteries we bought are 6v.

The charger has been running all day (except when I took it for a spin) but it hasn't shut off? How long should it take for new batteries to charge 100%?

I'm using a Ship N Shore Speed Charger to check to voltage/battery percentage on the batteries. I do it by hooking up the postive to one battery and the negative to the battery right next to it. (That's what someone a YouTube

Also when I got back from my drive and hooked it up to the speed charger just to check the percentage/voltage on two of the batteries it read 6v rather then the usual 12v, but slowly started to go up once on the charger.

It's been charging for almost 5 hours and the batteries still read mid 75%

Apperciate your response!

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
It can take up to 16 hours to fully charge. I'd plug the battery charger in and let it charge until it shuts off on its own. First make sure all the batteries are wired in series, especially the pair 2 that only showed 6 volts.

JohnnyFast

Cool I'll give that a try thanks! It's been charging since 3 PM today and check it out in the morning.

I'll update then and see! Thank you

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Double check the battery cable connections. If you're only getting 6 volts across 2 of the batteries either the cables are connected wrong or the one of those batteries has been charged with reversed polarity.

JohnnyFast

Sorry I should clarify. When I came back from my drive the battery read about 6.8v but then slowly started going up once hooked up to the charger.

Right now each pair of batteries I check read 12v so I think I'm good as for as connections.

Here's my wiring, let me know if you see anything wrong.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 7

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I'm om my phone right now so it's hard to tell by looking at the picture. As long as you have 36+ volts at the main positive and negative battery terminals and the charger receptacle your good to go. Let them charge until the battery charger shuts of. :hattip:

JohnnyFast

So I let the cart charge for 24 hours. I checked the voltage on it before riding and it was a solid 38.40 voltage for all 6v batteries.

The cart rode straight for about 1.5 hours almost two and then started slowing down. I checked it and the batteries were around 30 volts? These batteries are only 4 days old.

I know it's charging but I also think the charger is bad because it won't shut off. Not sure what's happening here?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
It's going to take a few charge cycles (10-20) for the batteries to get up to full performance. I've never used Brute Force batteries and have no idea on how good or bad they are. You shouldn't run the voltage down that low especially on new batteries. Drive the cart a half hour to 45 minutes and charge it completely for at least the first 10 - 20 charge cycles.

JohnnyFast

Gotcha yeah I was reading it's bad to run the battery that low, just thought I'd get more drive time regardless of the break in period. Hopefully the damage isn't already done! I'll run it tomorrow for 30 min on and charge it like you said a couple times and see if it improves!

Thank you