Club Car Z Llift ?

JRay

Cartaholic
I'm installing a 4 in. z lift on an 04 cc. I have done a lot of bolt on lifts. but this is my first cut frame lift. ? is about welding the extension on the steering knuckle. Looks like you have to weld the extension between a male end and a female end. What do you do ?stick the pipe over the male end, weld that, then center it up on the female and tack it then weld? I was thinking about putting a drift or a bolt in it to center it all up first on the female end. Any ideas?

slim67

Are you sure you want to hack the frame?
no.gif

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
It's been a while since I've looked at a Club Cart steering knuckle/shaft. Can you cut the shaft in the center and add the extension there with a piece of tubiing that fits over the steering shaft on both ends where you make the cut?

JRay

Cartaholic
AH good point HRC, i will look at that. Got it all wrapped up today except the steering knuckle. What i have found on this install is, z lift might be cheaper, but what you spend in labor is not worth the trouble. I did this for a close friend and we worked together on it so i am not out anything, was good experience. The bolt on lifts are a lot easier and a lot less time. Plus we drank a few buds. all good.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I've never installed a Z-Lift but I've had a few Club Cars here at the shop over the years that had them already installed. I can see that they would be more time consuming to install one. Let us know how the steering shaft extension works out...

slim67

Z-lifts are too permanent for me
thumbdown.gif
. I took the lift out of my last club car and couldve used it on my next one.

BIGDAWG

the easiest thing to do is go to club car & buy a steering knuckle for a
carryall XRT it is a factory part & those carts are lifted 4inches

BIGDAWG
twocents.gif

JRay

Cartaholic
Good info, I finished the z lift up, welded the pipe extension in there today. I am glad i got one done at someones elses expense. To each his own but i would not use one of these on one of my carts, You might save a 100 but your time is ate up in all the little things you do installing one of these. But if i had an old beater cart and wanted to keep the cost down, might not be all bad.
twocents.gif

JRay

Cartaholic
I think i have a camera. Cart doesn't look all that bad but the front tires were too close, had to put spacers on to get rid of a little rubbing in full turns. More bling coming this week, will get a finished pic.

JRay

Cartaholic
Wanted to add that the a arm lifts that i have installed push the front end a little wider, never measured but you do not usually have to add spacers with 22 in. tires. The z lift looked a little funny till we added the spacers.

JRay

Cartaholic
Got another issue with the Z lift. Installed a set of running boards, the kind with the supports that bolt under the body. Rubbing issue on the right front tire on the inside u bolt mount. Hoping i can grind it off enough for clearance. Anyone ever run into this? The 04 CC that belongs to a close friend of mine is getting to be a pain.