Club Car With Honda 24 HP Engine 4 Wheel Drive Conversion

ryanholt

Here ya go folks..........THE FIRST DRIVE

Obviously still a lot to do, but it moves, it really moves....I'll have to tweak the throttle connection. According to the GPS, I was able to get up to 25mph at 3900 rpm......uphill, Downhill I got 28mph. It was a little cold to be doing this today as it snowed last night. Very wierd weather for Central Texas on Easter weekend.......I guess it is global COOLING!

Sill left on the list;
1. Rear Bed
2. Front rack w/spare tire carrier
3. Redo the drivers seat
4. Install seatbelts
5. Finish the front disc brakes
6. Bimini top
7. Windshield

ryanholt

I put the choke cable and the new kill switch (previously discussed red/black coming off the Honda) in the location of the stock choke.

I am trying to figure out why I am only getting about 4900 rpm (unloaded) at WOT, when other folks are easily getting 5500. I would like to see more power in the mid-range. I am thinking either a cold air intake or maybe a new type of carb set up.

Keyguy

Overworked, underpaid :o) R.I.P.
Did you remove the gov. pinch bolt and spread the arm a little so it will move freely on the shaft.
My linkage is a little different than yours but on mine where you have the cable hooked still would be affected by the govener.
At wot running does the pedal try to lift up or have back pressure?

Attachments

• govbypass.jpg
    govbypass.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 2

ryanholt

There is plenty of travel. The arm moves freely. There is significant back pressure on the throttle arms at WOT. The throttle stop circled in the second picture is the mechanism keeping the engine from going faster and why I am certain that it is not a linkage problem. I can't figure out why with no load, my engine only makes 4900 RPM and others' makes 5500+. This translates, for me, under load to around 3500 RPM 24/25MPH). I realize that I am turning more hardware than most with the 4wd kit and I am looking at other upgrades such as Mikuni carbs and cold air intake to make more horsepower within the standard RPM range, but want to figure out this problem first.

Keyguy

Well I'm out of suggestions, for now.
It seems to me that the Honda 24 would have more than enough power to "redline" with the no load scenario......
I will wait to see what you find out as this subject interests me as to how much "extra" power it takes to push the additional moving parts.
Jimmy B.

ryanholt

After a trip to the family ranch in South Texas, my wife demanded that fender flares rise to the top of the list as she didn't like the fresh cow stuff being flung up on her from the wide tires. In addition, I built a range rover style from mount for a spare tire. When I was driving around in the back part of the pasture, miles from the main house, I got a little nervous about cactus and mesquite thorns doing in a tire. I've started work on a top and a bed will be the next project.

I can't tell you how happy I am with the performance of the near finished cart. I didn't need to, but I tested the electric engage 4wd and it worked flawlessly.

I think that the RPM issue I have been having is due to the fact that I am using a small tractor muffler. TheCartDude told me that he thinks most of those type of tractor mufflers are built for about 3600 RPM. I am going to try a bigger & quieter muffler and see what I get.

Keyguy

ryanholt,
Garden tractor or full sized tractor???
I'm running an IH muffler on mine.
Jimmy B.

ryanholt

I suspect just larger than garden. You can see it sticking out of the back. It is probably 5" in diameter and 12"-14" long.

Keyguy

ryanholt,
Looks very similar to what I'm running.... aprox 1.5" inlet?

Attachments

• 07_500_375.jpg
    07_500_375.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 1

ryanholt

I tested today with no muffler. While it WAS VERY LOUD!!! It did not net me an RPM gain.

Could the mixture be off and cause this problem. I am running an inline fuel filter just off of the gas tank so effectively there are two fuel filters because there is another one just under the lip of the air cleaner on this engine. Could I be starving the motor by doing that? This thing has tons of torque, but I can only get up to about 25mph. Something is still wrong. IDEAS????

Keyguy

My Honda didn't run up to my "expectations" out of the box so to speak.
I never drove it before I did this so it may be related, it may not.....
I popped the limiter caps off the carb adjustments and found 1 to be at 3 off light seat and the other at 5!
Basically one cylinder was fighting the other.
The bad part was I broke off the heads of both adjustment needles.
I managed to make a slight slot in them to adjust them as a temporary fix and ordered 2 new needles from Honda.
Anyway I was able to adjust both and it made a big difference in the way it ran.
I have dual tachs on mine, one for each cylinder and you wouldn't believe the difference in readings before and after.
I set them at 1.5 out from light seat and it was real close.
Like I said, may have nothing to do with your problem but it's one more "could be".
Your mention of fuel reminded me so I thought I'd throw it out to you....

Jimmy B.

ryanholt

OK, speak slowly and draw big pictures with crayons and a big chief tablet. I assume that you are talking about the other two set screws on top of the carburetor?

When you say 3 off light, is that 3 turns off of full ccw stop or are they marked somehow?

I took that pic a little while ago but it looks like the settings are about the same.

Keyguy

It's the two red circled items.
There is a lead/aluminum limiter cap on them that must be removed or modified so they will turn 360 degrees.
This is the part where I broke off the tops of the adjustments.
Once removed/modified(small tab cut off if possible), you will turn adjustments CW untill they LIGHTLY seat(stop) and then turm them out(CCW) 1.5 turns each.
That will get you real close.
Good luck with the caps as the stem of the needles are VERY thin and it doesn't take much to snap the top off.

Attachments

• carb.jpg
    carb.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 1