Club Car Voltage Regulator Help

r2d3henry

Hi all, I was looking at some other posting about a dead battery and that it might be a voltage regulator problem. I tested it (voltmeter connector to alternator)and it seems that it is defective. I was looking online and it looks like a voltage regulator for a gas club car carryall 6 is over $400. Is that correct. The other ones are less than $100 so I am totally confused. Also does anyone know where the voltage regulator is?? Anyways help would be much appreciated. Thanks

We sell the regulators for the carts for $35. Give me a part # and I can tell you around what you should expect to pay. The voltage R. is used to do exactly what the name says it regulates the voltage that is produced out of the starter, without you would have no constant voltage. Which means a nice spike would mean bad things!!!

ftfixer

yikes2.gif
JUST WONDERING WHAT SITE YOU FOUND THE $400.00 DOLLAR VOLTAGE REGULATOR ON I DON'T WANT ANY OF THOSE PARTS.
usaflag1.gif

r2d3henry

Sorry it was a typo on the website. I checked it again today and it was 42.00. Also where is the voltage regulator, near the alternator or near the battery? Thanks

TDAWG

The easy way to check your voltage regulator is to put your volt meter on your battery. Get a voltage reading with cart not running and then get another voltage reading with cart running. If voltage increases with cart running, then your voltage regulator is probably fine.

Make sure that the voltage is not above 14v-15v, if it gets to around 16+v then its bad. It can also go bad the other way... if its not charging to 12v then its bad.

Bass Hole

I did a search on the forum and found this information. You can ty this to see if the voltage regulator is bad.

From about half throttle you should see 13.5-15v across the battery terminals with a digital volt meter. Anything less and you have an issue.

If you are getting less than 13.5 volts on the battery, take the small yellow wire coming from the starter generator and ground it to the chassis (it has a boot connector near the regulator in the solenoid box). When you ground this wire, you should see the voltage spike to 17-18v across the battery. Don't hold it here more than a few seconds or you could cook the battery. This will test to see if the generator or the voltage regulator is at fault. If the voltage at the battery goes up to 17-18 volts when you ground the wire the voltage regulator is bad.