Club Car Rev Limiter

Greeenriver

Hi, all. New to the forum, and probibly this has been covered before, but I can't find the search option to look it up.

I have a 1994 Club Car DS Gas unit. It has that silly rev limiter and I have located the black box on the front of the motor, now, my question is, "How do I bypass the rev limiter???" I can see the need on a rental or golf course unit, but on a private owned unit, that 12 MPH just ain't gonna cut it!! I can see how to by-pass the govener on the rear end by direct hook-up of the throttle cable to the carb throttle arm. That's easy, but I know nothing of these electric rev limiters and am almost to the point of pulling the entire power unit and putting in a Kholer V-twin! And that's way more than I need or really want for this cart. Idealy, I'd like to get about 20 to 25 mph from this one for local usage arround town here, I have a permit so it's legal, and usage on the home acerage.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this, and for any help that may be forthcomming. Oh, this is the 286cc, 9hp, single.

Greeenriver

chachi44089

I think you snip the brown wire or disconnect it and tape it up."and kiss your motor bye-bye".Just remember, the rev limiter is not to keep the cart from going too fast, it to keep the engine from revving too high and blowing up..Twelve mph is about as fast as these things go before being very easy to flip and hard to controle..At 20-25mph it will be sooo easy to flip and is just not a good idea .Be safe and keep it around 12mph. You will get used to it after a bit. I have seen far too many crashes, injured people, kids and flipped carts because people had to go faster. I witnessed two cart wrecks at the campground this year, not pretty, and both were modded to go fast.
I think if this keeps happening, cities and campgrounds will ban them. I have already heard of several campgrounds that no longer allow carts. This will ruin it for the rest of us that are not in a hurry and just enjoy taking our time putting around. I just ride closer to the shoulder when cars come up behind me and I wave them around, no problem. If you feel the need for speed consider a 4-wheeler of dirt bike..

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Disconnecting the rev limiter won't change the carts speed unless you adjusted the governor and are hitting the rev limiter. Best bet is to adjust the governor until your hitting the rev limiter then back off on the gov adjustment until it's not hitting the limiter.

Greeenriver

Maybe I should explain a bit better. I am not new to golf carts, having had a Yamaha and an EzGo in the past, both for several years. They both were adjusted to run between 20 to 25 mph and caused no problems where I live. This is a small town in northern MI that allows handicaped people to use "Alternative Transportation" in the village limits, and has access to several hundred miles of ORV trailes directly from town. This is not for running arround campgrounds or for tearing up the sidewalks, it if for daily transportation arround town and once or twice a week spending a day on the trails. I''m 60+ years old and not a kid causing problems, but I'm also not going to live with a 12 mph cart. I have years of experence with small carts, both golf carts and ORV's, quads and dune buggys, and am not an idiot. Other than local usage, the only place this will be used is at shooting matches acrost the country where motorised carts are allowed and used as a fully equiped gun cart.

In the past, I've driven a 92 mph Rhino on a closed course, and two 60+ MPH golf carts. I'm not new to toys or hot rods, just new to this model of club car. If you can help me figger how to eliminate this rev limiter, I thank you. If you just don;t want to see them eliminated, well, don't do it to yours. Trust me in the fact that I know when and where speed is usable, and when and where it's not.

If I can't figger out how to get rid of the rev limiter, well, there's always that Kholer V-Twin I've got for my pulling tractor just setting there in the garage, but it's really more motor than I want or need in this cart. And there's that Polaris 700 Twin Quad my kid wrecked for me out back. That motor will fit. I have a cutting tourch and welder.

Does anyone know, is this motor built by Kawasaki??

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If you disconnected the ground wire from the rev limiter it's disabled and isn't causing the slow speed. The speed won't change until you adjust the governor. You should be able to get 20+ MPH without unhooking the rev limiter by adjusting the governor. :twocents:

Greeenriver

Well, back to basics. Tomorrow I will readjust the govenor. This is driving me nuts. I know it's got to be a simple fix, but so far, it's escaped me.

Thanks, all, for the ideas. I'll post what happens next in a couple days.

This is frustrating. I've built 700 HP race stock car motors, and a 9 HP cart is getting the best of me?????

I always was better at mechanics than electricv stuff. Still am, for that matter. LOL!!!

Greeenriver

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Here's some info that may help with the adjustments.

What are you exactly looking for? Better take off, quicker acceleration? Higher speeds? Are you willing to risk damaging the engine? If so, you came to the right place. I will tell you right now, any modifications you do, will risk running into big problems down the road.

First thing I tell everyone. BUY A TACH!!! Carts Parts Plus has the tiny tach you need. Easy hook up and valuable engine saver if you follow the golden rule. Keep your RPMS between 4200-4400. This is considered the safe "MAX" rpm you can run.

1. How far down does your gas pedal go before the starter engages? If more than 1", you need to adjust the throttle rod under the cart. It s the rod that connects the gas pedal to the black box. Loosen the nut on either end. Pull back on the spring tension part to release it from the ball. Unscrew it a few turns and pop it back on. Trial and error will get you to its perfect setting. Then tighten the nut up.

2. You will need to look at the carb closely on this one. First, remove the cover of the black box. Loosen the 10mm nut on the throttle cable. Run some cable in the box to give it slack. Now, look for the screw that is on the carb that will move the butterfly. Screw it in or out till the carb is just closed in a relaxed position. Now, start bringing cable out of the box till it just starts to move the butterfly. Back it off a tad. This now set your throttle cable. Tighten the 10mm nut.

With these adjustments, you should just barely touch the gas pedal and it should start up and just barely be running. A little more gas and cart should move. If not, re adjust with step 2 again. This should give you much quicker take offs and acceleration.

(sometimes after these adjustments I have to slightly bend the micro switch arms to get it to shut off or turn on when I need it. This takes a lot of patiences to set them just right. So be careful)

3. Install your tach on the dash somewhere. The cable is long enough to go under the cart and reach the coil wire. White wire under a any bolt of the engine. Red wire wraps tightly around the coil wire.

4.Governor removal. Follow throttle cable from black box to governor arm of tranny. You can access this through the black access panel behind the seat. Loosen the nut/bolt that clamps the arm to the shaft coming out of the tranny. Once loose, use a flat blade screwdriver to pry apart slightly. Just till it moves freely on the shaft. DO NOT TIGHTEN. Thios will not fall off. Trust me. Been driving for 3 years now and it has never come off yet. Your governor is now dis abled.

5. With the governor disabled you are now in danger of bouncing off the rpm limiter. What this does is grounds out the coil if rpms go over 3700-3900 rpms. Then won't let it start up till it drops to about 3200-3400rpm. and if your foot was on the gas, when it does start.... BANG!! Back fire. this can damage the engine. So, we need to take it out of service. To do this, you may need a mirror to see where it is. It is in the front of the engine all the way to the bottom. There is a small black box with some wires coming out. You need to find the brown(I think) wire and follow it to the ground bolt. You need to remove that 10mm bolt and pull the ground wire off the bolt. Replace bolt. Tape up the ground wire so it can not ground out. This takes care of the RPM limiter.

That is it, you are now optimally adjusted and are offically ready to blow up your engine. I am suprised I never did. I ran mine constantly past 5000rpms but only for short burst. 1/2 mile or less. Now with HS gears, It barely reaches 4300rpms. You may have to go to step 2 again once the governor arm is free. It sometimes put slack back in the cable.

shadowman

greenriver just for a heads up there is very little movement in the post where you adjust but you just touch it and you can feel the difference. all it takes is patience. My 1 peice of advice is thinking about putting a tach on it when your done. You sound like you know what your doing and as you said its your cart its just that the cart may not act normal in normal operating. I have seen quite a few people bugger up their carts by just playing with the governor so I would ask that you first try and adjust the throttle cable in the box that may get you the speed you want 15 to 17 mph. If so and its not enough then adjust the governor. But I would leave that until last. I have spent several hours on some carts getting the governor adjustment right and then getting cart to start and run normal. But others as little as 10 minutes and done.

chachi44089

No need to get so defensive. My post was never intended to insult you. I never said you were an idiot, nor did I assume you were a kid causing problems, or tearing up sidewalks. I have no idea of your level of experience with golf carts, it was just general advise to a fellow cart owner. I have had my cart to 18mph and from my experience with a 93 club car it was a bit hard to control. I will add that mine is street legal, non-lifted, with DOT tires and I drive it in my community on the road daily.
If you want to disable the rev limiter, just disconnect the brown wire. I would like mine to go a bit faster, I think I could go about 15mph safely. The stock suspension on my cart feels too soft for speeds faster than that, especially with the added weight of passengers. I also seem to get a bit of "bump steer" at higher speeds. Maybe the Yamaha and EZGO are better in this department.
With your experience, I think you could safely reach your goal of 20-25mph. Maybe with good tires, and some suspension mods. I was cosidering puting on a steering stabilizer off a 4-wheeler on mine to help it out with the bump-steer issue.
Another idea to help is "high speed gears" I think one of the sponsers on this site sells them. Then you would not have to mess with the rev limiter and keep your engine out of the red zone.
When you reach your goal, let me know how it goes. I too am no kid and feel the desire for more top end. I just havnt found a safe way to get there yet.
Anyways, Go for it! Have fun and good luck. :thumbsup:

Greeenriver

OK, just a little update on "How to frustrate a Bald headed fat old man". (That would be me).

I re adjusted the governer untill it just hits the rev limiter, and backed it off just a hair. Now, I can run steady on the flat and uphills, but down hill it will just ocasionaly hit the rev limiter. Took the GPS TomTom out of the PU and carried it for a ride on the cart to get an acurat MPH reading, and this cart hits the rev limiter just when the speed changes from 11mph to 12mph. Will run steady at 11 all day.

I'm not making any more changes ti it untill I recieve my tach for it. After installing the tach, I will probibly disconect the rev limiter and see where that takes me, and am undecided between the 8 to 1 rear gears or the 6 to 1 gears. I'm not sure this little motor has the necesary HP to pull the 6 to 1 gears, but am hopefull it will pull the 8 to 1 gears.

Been side tracked by picking corn by the bag from the little field out back and trying to repair the little John Deer 110 tractor that I use to pull trailer I pick with. Bent the drive pully and broke the belt yesterday out in the corn field and had to pull it back with the quad. Got two suguries on Wed so that will probibly put an end to my play time for a few weeks, maybe till next spring. Found the tracks and Dung that show a black bear has been tearing up the corn field at nite. Definatly don't want to run into him in the day out there!!!!

Oh well, boys and their toys. At least these keep me from walking the streets looking like a homeless bum and keeps me out of the wife's way!!

Greeenriver

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I'd make sure your drive belt is good and both clutches are working properly. You should be closer to 20 MPH when you hit the rev limiter on a stock cart if everything else is working like it should...

shadowman

Yes if your that close and only 11mph ? Stock speed is 12 to 14 MPH and like i said there isn't much adjustment to the governor. Yeah get your tach on there just hope your not on the cart if you see the bear again cause at that speed you aren't gettin away. lol
hey good luck with your surgeries.

chachi44089

He described my cart to the "t".. All I could get was 11-12mph just bumping the rev limiter..Then I noticed while in service mode that the drive belt on the drive clutch was a good 1/2 inch from the top of the sheaves at WOT. Turns out that my clutch is worn. I pulled it and noticed a groove and indentations worn into the thrust washer. And the tips of the weights that contact the thrust washer are also worn. I popped off the thrust washer and was looking at it and decided to flip it over and put it back on. I put the clutch back on and went for a spin. 14-15mph! I still bump the rev limiter going down hill at times but at least I have narrowed down the culprit. I will order new weights and a thrust washer or send it to CPP for the parts and some machining. CPP does not charge extra to install the needed parts, just the cost of the parts.
You might want to do that simple test greenriver..Because even with the high speed gears you are still going to have trouble if your clutch needs rebuilt. Also, measure the width of your belt, a worn "thin" belt is one of the leading causes for poor speed. It only takes -1/16 to rob you of a few mph.
Good luck. And keep us posted..

Greeenriver

The clutch being worn is something I hadn't thought of, but when I get healed up, I'll look into that, and see if the belt is worn too thin at the same time. Won't be fore a while yet, right arm will be in a splint for another 10 days yet, and will be mostly usless for some time after that.
Had wrist, elbo, and sholder operated on for an impinged nerve, with tears and 3 spurs in the shoulder, too. One spur was directly pressing on the nerve, and to say the least, I've been fighting this nerve pain since back in March, just getting worse each day, till Wensday, and the diference now is night and day. Oh, I still hurt a lot, but this is just surgical pain, not that deep nerve pain that nothing will stop. This will ease with time and PT.

I called and ordered the 2" round tack today, and will have a friend install it next week. Probibly will have him check the belt and clutch at the same time. He's sharp on these anc can tell me if it's worn.

More to come in the saga of a frustrated fat man with a need for small ammounts of speed!!!

Greeenriver

chachi44089

This is not ment to hijack the thread because there might be useful info for greenriver..I just recieved the new weights and thrust washer from CCP..I took apart my clutch and went to install the new parts and the bolts for the weights were the wrong size..good thing I kept the old ones..So anyways, I put in the new weights and thrust washer and I didnt gain any more speed than with my modded old parts, but the clutch works very smoothly. I am at 15-16mph just under the limiter..I hear people on here say a stock cart is 14-15..I cant see where I am going wrong..The belt is at the top of the sheaves at wot..But I am nowhere near 20mph..What gives? Do you mean that a stock car "just under the limiter" is 14-15mph? Because thats where I am at..I 'm giv'n her all shes got captain! she wont take much more!! I need help too!

Greeenriver

One thing I was able to do one armed was remove the seat, put a piece of plywood to set on, and leave the other side open to see, and drive the cart down the road and back. The belt only comes about halfway up the clutch, not to the top, so I'm guessing that the clutch needs some work on it.

Now, should I just order new parts for the stock clutch, or order a new performance clutch???

Keep in mind that this cart will have a set of the 8-1 gears in it next spring, if that makes any diference.

I would realy rather just put a rebuild kit in the stock clutch for now, as I think this will get a V-Twin Big Block in the future, and the kit comes with new clutches. However, that is out of the question for a couple years at this point. Will rebuilding the stock clutch work with the 8-1 gears for a couple years on the stock motor??

Oh, I am not worried about this thread getting "Hi-jacked", as any and all information is welcome to me.

Greeenriver

R.Ducky

After reading the post I grabbed my GPS and went to check my 2005 CC gas. My rev limiter was kicking in at 17 mph.

chachi44089

I would rebuild the clutch if you plan on doing some major mods in a year or two. Just get a clutch weight kit, thrust washer and a button kit. Your clutch will perform like new for very little cash. And will last for years. It only took me about 20 minutes to put the new parts in the clutch, but what a difference in speed and performance. Real smooth now and can hit 15-16mph. You will get much more speed than that with a clutch rebuild and new gears. Keep us posted!