Club Car Precedent Will Not Move - Please help!

Jeep2001

I have a 1997 Club Car Precedent, that sat inside an enclosed trailer over the winter. It was fully charge in November when I put it away. Not feeling good over the winter I didn’t get a chance to charge it. When I got it out of the trailer it was completely dead. I charge each battery separately until they had about 6.5 volts. Then l was able to get my inboard charger to start the charging cycle. The charger is a Lester Summit series. I had the charger on it for 24 hours and getting a green light on the charger. Lights, turn signals and horn works fine. When I put the car in forward I here the solenoid click but the cart won’t move. I can’t seem to get 48 volts from the 2 cable, l get 0 volts maybe I testing the wrong wires. I will send a picture of the battery pack. Thanks in advance, l really appreciate the help!

Jeep2001

I think I am on the right wires but I get 0 volts when testing them on a volt meter.

Attachments

• AE572A68-91D8-4FBB-AE6A-009386930F88.jpeg
    AE572A68-91D8-4FBB-AE6A-009386930F88.jpeg
    216.6 KB · Views: 21

Jeep2001

I worked on it today and still have the same issue. Do these batteries look to be wired right? I am only getting 16 volts when testing 2 batteries on the driver side, the, rear one and the far left. The rest I get O volts when testing multiple batteries, but each battery has 8 volts. When I push on the gas pedal the volt meter I have hooked to the battery stays the same at 8 volts. I also have low battery light on and the battery meter on the dash between 1/2 and 3/4 full. Thanks any suggestions will be great.

Jeff10456

I worked on it today and still have the same issue. Do these batteries look to be wired right? I am only getting 16 volts when testing 2 batteries on the driver side, the, rear one and the far left. The rest I get O volts when testing multiple batteries, but each battery has 8 volts. When I push on the gas pedal the volt meter I have hooked to the battery stays the same at 8 volts. I also have low battery light on and the battery meter on the dash between 1/2 and 3/4 full. Thanks any suggestions will be great.
2 x 8V batteries will add up to more than 16V
from pack+ to pack- you should measure more than 48V at full charge

what is your meter set to ?
it should be on DC volts and a minimum of a 60V scale
depending on your meter , possibly as large a scale as 100 or 120V DC

Jeep2001

Thank you Jeff10456, I think my meter was set on 20 volts. I will retest it later today with the meter on 60 v and 100 v scale. Thanks again for that great advice.

Jeep2001

Sorry I am getting old. Lol. It is a 2007 Club Car. I had my meter on the wrong setting, Thanks again Jeff for noticing that. With the meter at 48 volts and when I press the gas pedal the meter goes to down to 16volts and then I here a click and the meter goes back up to 48 volts. I think the batteries are no good. I bought the cart about 6 year ago and still has the same batteries in it. Thanks

Notsoslim

Cartaholic
If you bought a used cart and the batteries lasted 6 years you should go buy a lottery ticket. All joking aside tell us what kind of batteries they are and how you maintained them. Trojan batteries? Factory charger? Cart on charger all of the time? That would be my guess. Inquiring minds want to know how you did it because that is definitely a success story.

Jeep2001

The batteries are Trojans T875 and the charger is a Lester Summit. We had this cart at our condo we used during the summer at the lake. The cart was on the charger mostly all the time and I alway keep the batteries topped off with distilled water. During the winter months I made sure the batteries were actually over filled with water and the charger was on and we were not at the condo for 5 months during the winter. I over filled them because I didn’t want the batteries to get low on water when I wasn’t there. I see so many new batteries options out there, just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on replacement batteries for my cart? Thanks

Attachments

• 861040E9-EA49-43D0-A46A-4FD589C5E465.jpeg
    861040E9-EA49-43D0-A46A-4FD589C5E465.jpeg
    260 KB · Views: 4
  • 5FB98B90-E071-4D6E-B9A7-F9AD0FAA7EB1.png
    5FB98B90-E071-4D6E-B9A7-F9AD0FAA7EB1.png
    964.3 KB · Views: 5

Notsoslim

Cartaholic
For me it is a choice between trojan LA or one good lithium 48 volt battery. I went with the ECO 51 volt 105AH bundle about 20 months ago and couldn't be happier. It was easy to install and I have had zero issues.

Attachments

• Eco battery.jpg
    Eco battery.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 0
  • gauge.jpg
    gauge.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 0
As far as I know Eco Battery has the only drop-in 48V 100Ah battery for your model of Precedent that has the molded plastic battery compartment. Others require modding the battery compartment to fit unless you go with 2-4 48V 30Ah batteries that are the same size as 12V batteries.

Notsoslim

Cartaholic
2-4 48V 30Ah batteries that are the same size as 12V batteries.
My local battery guy wanted to sell me 4 of the Trojan lithium drop ins but I had read too many horror stories about multiple batteries going out of sync and causing carts to shut down. After some reading I decided to go with one battery and therefore one BMS which so far has been trouble free.

Jeep2001

Thanks LameUsername and Notsoslim for that information. Would you guys stay away from the lead acid batteries? It seems less complicated to go with one 48 volt battery. On that Eco drop in 48 volt will my Summit charger work with this battery? Thanks

Notsoslim

Cartaholic
It would be hard to say to stay away from lead acid batteries when yours lasted as long as they did. I had a set of Trojans that died at 7.5 years old as well but I went the lithium route Depending on your skill level you may be able to install the ECO bundle yourself. I made and installed my own new positive and negative HD battery cables.
Here are some pros that I have found with the ECO bundle
1) Lighter; your cart will lose about 250 lbs. with the 105AH bundle
2) No more maintaining electrolyte levels
3) No more corrosion from acid or fumes off gassing during charge and virtually no terminal maintenance
4) More speed. You will likely pick up 2 or 3 MPH (I did)
5) More torque; quicker acceleration and it pulls better uphill
6) More range per charge
7) Faster charging time
8) No worries about getting battery on charger after every little use. I have gone a week using my cart everyday on rides of 5 miles or so without charging it. I have run it as low as 38% SOC.
9) On board charger works great and also comes with new 120 volt charger receptacle and you can plug in standard extension to cart. You could sell your old charger to recoup some of the cost. I don't think your charger is compatible with lithium.
10( The gauge that comes with the bundle means you always know the health of your battery. It also shows amps going into the battery when charging and amps being drawn by the motor when operating your cart. I just wish it was a little bigger.
11) The battery has an on/off button where you just turn the battery off when you want to. I chose to keep my run/tow switch as well
12) The smaller size is handy too; it leaves more room in the battery compartment. I have my charger and 12 volt power supply that came with the bundle in there now and plan to relocate my controller and solenoid in there when I upgrade to AC because there is room and they will be less exposed to the elements. I think you can opt out of the 12 volt power supply if you already have one as long as the one you have is 48 volt to 12 volt.

The cons
1) the initial expenditure is costly but IMO it's very much worth it
2) you will have to bypass your OBC, I completely removed mine and threw it in the trash can

Jeep2001

Thanks guys for that information. I pulled out all 6 batteries today. That was a work out for me. 1 metal hold down broke off when removing it. Will I need to replace that hold down only if I go with the 6 8 volt batteries? Thanks Notsoslim for the pro and cons of the ECO battery. Would you have a ball park cost of the ECO package? What is the OBC and where is it located in the cart. This cart was converted to a LSV in Florida when it was new, would it still have the OBC in it. It has a high speed motor that was a part of LSV package. The top speed of this cart was 27 mph. I am not too familiar with the workings of a golf cart. Would it be expensive to have a shop to do the install the the ECO system? Thanks

Notsoslim

Cartaholic
The bundle costs about 2500 (2800 when I got mine) and change right now depending on whether you need the 48 to 12 volt converter. You should click on the sponsor tab at the top of the page and scroll down to the ECO logo and click on it. You will then see a find a dealer tab. Type in your zip and your closest options will pop up. Call some of the dealers and see if they are willing to give an out the door price including installation. If you look at your main negative battery cable and trace it you will find the negative cable passes directly through the middle of the OBC on its way to the controller. Your cart would have come with a "Power Drive" or a "Power Drive 3" charger, The fact that you have a Summit charge tells me your OBC is probably bypassed already. I hope you took good pictures before you took anything apart. You need to determine if you have a 48 to 12 volt power supply (converter) already in your cart; if you do you can opt out of the one in the bundle which saves a little cash. There are different kits for different years and models so it is important to make sure you get the right kit for your cart. It may complicate matters a little that your cart has already been modified but nothing to bad. HotRodCarts is is Illinois and you won't find a more competent or ethical shop if you are near him.