Club Car Precedent Transaxle

Dar

Hi Guys,

I would like to start a thread where any of the experts out there might want to give detailed procedures on rebuilding a transaxle for Club Car Precedents. Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Removal, disassembly, bearing replacements, shims, gear swaps, gear mesh, installation, etc.

Thanks
Dar

dirtysouth

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
It's the same axle as a DS. I'm guessing there's already some info on them. Try doing a search here for it. :thumbsup:

Dar

Thanks for the welcome Dirtysouth...I did as many searches as I could think of for transaxles, differentials, rear ends, etc and all I could really find were random comments of what some folks added to there carts but nothing in the way of a procedural, step by step rebuild...

Yes I am looking for my own interests but I also think it woud be a great achive post for the forum.

I fould a post earlier about a brake rebuild that was fantastic.

Once we know the basics we can build upon them..

Thanks
Dar

dirtysouth

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
HRC will point ya in the right direction if the thread exists. If not, then this is the thread. :hattip:

Dar

I’ve got my ‘07 Precedent up on jacks and wheels removed. Does anyone know how much play there should be in the axle between forward and rearward rotation? Or shouldn't there be any? Also has anyone removed the axle bearings without a press? I will be ripping into this later today….I'll post the progress if anyone is interested. :thumbsup:

Dar

Hey Dirtysouth,

The afflicted transaxle has a pronounced “howl” with higher speeds. (anything above 14 mph). This is a stock 49v Precedent with speed code 4, stock wheels and tires.

I drained and filled the differential with 30 weight, but the “howl” remains

harleyb2000

Did you ever resolve your problem ? I have the same "howl".Although I thought it was because of the oversize tires, like on a 4x4 truck.Any insight will be appreciated. :)

Dar

Hi Guys,

Well I’ve taken apart one Precedent axle so far and it appears to be fairly straight forward. Removing the axles and axle bearings are pretty much common sense provide you spend a little cash on some not to common household tools like a 12 tone shop press, bearing wedge, some good quality straight and 90 degree snap-ring pliers, bearing seal tools and some Permatex gray case sealant.

All these can be had Northerntool.com and Advanced Auto. The whole lot ran about $250.00. I think If I had it to do over again I would opt for the 20 ton press just because of the range of motion but the 12 ton can be made to work...just takes a few more setups.

I got all the bearings from Red Hawk, don’t really remember how much they were but it was somewhere in the range of $5-$12 each depending on the bearings you need. I'm sure if you live in a more industrial city you will have a bearing store that will sell you these for a mere pittance of what I paid. The Axle goes back together the same way you took it apart. Not rocket science…. I need to take an ‘06 Precedent axle apart next week...I’ll try to take some photos as I do it...

Right now I’ve got a 2008 EZGO PDS rear end on the axle stand with the pan off waiting for the oil to drain. Its got a vicious howl so I can’t wait to see what I’ll find in there….I’ll keep you posted

kjames

I like this thread! I have searched for all the info I can on 98 DS rear end and was wanting a diagram before tearing into it. I think I have striped a gear but have not had time to tear into it. I also consider replacing the whole rear end if I can find a used one. I can work on some stuff just timid to tear this open