Club Car Motor Spinning Free

Randall Brown

Working on a 98 Club Car DS golf cart. The motor is spinning free but the golf cart won’t move. Splines look good on motor.
I’m used to E-Z-GO that strips hubs out , but these are different. What’s next step ?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If the splines in the motor coupler and input shaft are good then the problem must be in the rear end itself. It's possible the coupler is spinning on the motor shaft also. Welcome to the forum. :hattip:

Randall Brown

Wondered why there was a snap ring on the coupler - took it out & didn’t do a thing.
Is that coupler servicable ? Why the snap ring ?

Randall Brown

It’s stock , just didn’t see what the snap ring does . So what is the weak link in the Club Car rearend? Axle , gears , what ? Can the axles be pulled w/o taking axle tubes off the diff?
Ezgo has the big cover like a car- but this looks sealed.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The snap ring would be for the motor guide ring. Club Car started using them to prevent the motor from rattling. The axles can be removed without taking the rear end apart. There's a snap ring on the axles and once you remove it the axle will slide out. I've never seen anything break on a Club Car rear end so I have no idea what the weak link is. Here's a link from the resource section of the forum for removing a Club Car axle. There's also a complete rear end diagram in the resource section of the forum if you wind up having to take it apart.

Randall Brown

looking at the motor guide ring - could that be spinning inside the coupling ? I noticed it’s glued in.
With the cart jacked up - motor removed , I held the input spline w/ wrapped channel locks - all seems to be working correctly?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The motor guide ring shouldn't have any effect on it and it's only purpose is to help reduce any rattling. If the motor is actually spinning and the axles aren't it's either the coupler or shaft splines, the coupler spinning on the shaft, or something internal in the rear end. If you turn the shaft by hand to the wheels turn? Try engaging the parking brake and see if you can turn the shaft. If you can't then the problem is something to do with the coupler or the shaft splines.

Randall Brown

Yes the wheels do turn when turning the shaft
Going to the diff. Maybe I haven’t hit the spot that has teeth missing on a gear yet.