Club Car Motor and Controller Upgrade for Speed and Torque

xiler8d

Hi, I've looked at 13 pages of history and found two other people that were looking to upgrade the motor/controller/ etc. and didnt get any responses. I'll try myself.
I've got a 98 Club Car DS 48v with series motor. Its got an 8" buggies a-arm lift with 25" Mudlite XL tires and a back seat. I'd like to get as much torque as I can get and maybe even add some speed. Anyone have any input on this brand or if the price looks good? Also, I know the controller should be upgraded, but what else? solenoid? cables? Anyone know of a good package deal? Any other recommendations?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
You can't go wrong with a D&D motor. I would contact D&D directly and tell them what you want out of your cart. They'll set you up with a nice package at a good price. Once you get a price from D&D see if you can get one of the forum sponsors here to give you a better deal. :twocents:

bigdog29609

I recommend a D&D motor and controller combo, but you don't want to do this unless you are willing to do it right. You will also need to upgrade to 4 gauge wires, a heavy duty solenoid, and a heavy duty F/R switch. Don't forget, all of this is not going to operate to it's full potential if you don't have a good set of batteries. Call me sometime with all your cart info and decide exactly what you want to do with the cart, and we can then find the best set-up for you. :checkered:

xiler8d

this will also be done! seams like a no brainer for what i want.
i'll be posting a pic of what i got so far in a few minutes.

xiler8d

What do you guys think of this package deal from Buggies Unlimited?

It uses a 700 amp alltrax controller, but its BU motor. How are their motors?
With an email discount i got, this kit will run me $1275 shipped to my door. Good deal
Right?

dougmcp

The BU controller is not an Alltrax 700 amp unit, BU uses a different criteria to rate the controllers. If it's on a 1204 footprint it is no larger than a 400 amp, a 1205 footprint will give you up to 650 amps.
A 1204 footprint 480 amp controller can be had from Logisystems for $290, the 1205 footprint 700 amp is $355.
Cables can be bought on ebay for about $50 for the set.
Rewinding your existing motor for torque can be done for about $250.
Small parts like solenoid, F-N-R switch, resistor and diode should be around $125.
Total is about $750.

xiler8d

That's really good info. I had questioned that controller and was waiting a call back from bu. Where do you recommend having the motor work done? Is there someone u'd recommend that I could ship it to? I'd rather work with new parts, golf cart outfitters is trying to set me up with a package. Hopefully, they can.
Thanks for your :twocents:

xiler8d

Ok, its all set. Todd at golf cart outfitters is hooking me up. I just ordered the d&d 42a torque motor, alltrax dcx 500 controller, 400 amp hd solinoid, cable set, hd forward/reverse switch, etc. I'm pumped!!!! Can't wait til it all comes in. This way I'm getting all the beat name brand parts that are mAtched to work together. I'll keep u all posted, and thanks for everyone's input. :thumbsup:

xiler8d

ok, here's how i started by removing the rear body. i found 2 breaks and 1 stress crack in the aluminum frame right where the seat back brackets attach. my good friend Carl tig welded everything back to new condition. after removing the r/r shock and mount, I was able to install the new motor, which states it is a 10.3 horsepower, compared to the original motor which was 3.1 horse. So that's as far as i got. I got into a really bad snowmobile accident and messed up my right arm and pelvis. needed plates and screws to fix everything. took 5 surgeries and over 2 weeks in the hospital. lend me your prayers. thanks guys!

xiler8d

i appreciate everyone's kind words. i wont be able to walk for three months and then therapy begins on the hip. pt on arm will start this week. doc says i'll need a full year to recover. i really effed myself up good.

xiler8d

That's what I look like also. Were u able to fully recover? Once I do, I think I'll stick to golf cart off-roading.