Club Car Ignitor

genec

I'm trying to get to the bottom of my lack of spark problem on my 92 Club Car with a warm engine. It has the same problem many others have posted about losing spark with a warmed up engine. At one point the ignitor was replaced, and the ground wire is now disconnected from the coil. Which from other posts should eliminate a problem with the rev limiter. Did all the ground wire checks also. But still no spark when warm. With the noted failure of even new ignitors, I'm wondering if that is the problem. Is there any way to bench test an ignitor? A small silver chip like thing was also replaced. What the heck does that do? Thanks, Gene

ftfixer

It's possible that the coil is over-heating next time that this happens pour some water on the coil and see what happens. :twocents:

genec

Forgot to mention, the coil was replaced also. Sure wish I could find out a test procedure for the ignitor. Even though it was already replaced, it seems others have gotten bad ones.

shadowman

that small silver chip thing if its about an inch by an inch with a single wire is the ignitor.....on a 92 in most of the lack of spark issues i have dealt with it is the ignitor/rpm limiter. there are no 100% bench tests other than replacing them. when i do i always replace them in pairs.

hiwaydog

the rpm limiter can be easily by-passed to eliminate it as a possible culprit. simply unbolt the ground lead and tape it off. if the car runs, then you're probably looking at a bad ignitor. I don't know of any way to test one on the bench.

however, it's been my experience that ignition problems with these cars that develop only with a warm engine is probably a coil issue.