Club Car Ignition Coil or Ignitor

therock-500

I have two 92 Club Car golf carts that have lost ignition spark. I traced the problem down to the ignitor and or the coil. ( limiters have been disconnected). I ordered two 97 coils with ignitors in them and installed one tonight. It had good spark before I installed the engine back in the cart, and also would run on carb clean. Just hooked up the fuel line after flushing the fuel tank and tried to start. ( no spark again) I have the limiter and old ignitor removed from the engine. I disconnected the wire to the micro switch at the engine and no spark. I pulled the engine assembly again and removed the wirte from the terminal on the coil. ( no spark)
I installed the second coil assembly without hooking up the wire to the ignitor terminal on the coil and It sparks good and will run the engine.

Failed/bad new part??? I purchased this coil from buggies unlimited, #5133. The coil will only spark when install with the igniton cable facing up. ( it has very weak spark when installed with the cable facing down.)

I belive i have it installed correctly with .011 air gap, and the cable facing up. This is the first time i have upgraded the ignition coil to this style, and I have to get these carts running soon for the small golf course near me.

My question is Did I miss anything on the installation of the 97 ignition coil on this older cart??
Has anyone had this style of ignition coil fail soon after installation?? ( it is an aftermarket coil/ not OEM) ???

I am hesitant to reinstal engine untill I am sure this is installed and will work correctly. I am going to call buggies unlimited to see if they will warranty the first coil assembly.

Thanks in advance!! Any information would be appreciated.

shadowman

all i can tell you is i know at least one person who bought several of them and all were bad right out of the box. he did end up getting one that worked and is still working but yes its very possible to get bad new parts it happens all the time. as for how long the working one is going to work?????? no idea might last forever or might last a week.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
i have had four bad ignitors from BU, two ez go, two club car and never got a dime back from them

shadowman

not surprising at all... but try and tell someone thats why it might be cheaper........when i run into this i just tell the customer i won,t buy from them and if thats where they want to get it than take the cart elsewhere to have it worked on i won,t lose any sleep over it.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
i won't install any New electrical parts a fella brings in, cuz in the end it all lays back you if she fails
i hope BU works with you on them, factory ignitors is the way to go

therock-500

Thanks for the info on BU. I will still try to get some kind of rersolution with them. It states on thee paper work that all electrical parts come with a 12 month warranty.

I have work for a GM dealership for 30 years, and I know about bad new parts out of the box .( I also know the pitfalls of using aftermarket parts)

Who is a good source for parts for these carts? I am in the upper northwest part of Montana, and have very limited sources to access unless I get it online.

I am trying to help this little course out, as they don't have any one that can do repairs on there equipment, and carts.
I just wanted to make sure I did not miss anything when installing the ignitor and coil assembly. It is pretty straight forward system, just a pain to get to.

I will let you know if BU's warranty is worth the paper it is written on. I am also going to run this engine for a while out of the cart to see if the second coil works.

Thanks to all who replied!!

DDavis6384

With regards to the ignitor, I am very cheap. I found that the John Deere M70114 works excellent. It was found on Ebay for $25. After I bought this one, I found them even cheaper! Don't know if this is even related, but I thought I would share.

therock-500

Update to this concern. I finally got B.U. to warranty there ignition coil/igniter. There customer service is not what I would expect for a company that states 100% customer satisfaction.
I had to keep calling them after I sent the defective coil in for them to test and verify it was bad. ( it took them 2 weeks to perform this) If I had not kept calling them , they still would not have contacted me, as to the status of this defective coil. I finally got the replacement part yesterday and installed it and it is working good ( so far). This was a lesson learned, and I will only use OEM ignition componets in the future as long as they are still avalible.