Club Car Honda Clone Engine Conversion - Clutch Question

mslam02

So i just picked up a Club Car DS with a 16hp Honda clone engine conversion, comet 500 series clutch and have a question. The way its set up now, it cannot change gears without completely shutting down the cart, and motor is always running even when not on the gas.

Can this setup be adjusted to shift gears while the engine is running, or be modified to run like a stock setup by only running when gas is pushed?

Any help is appreciated, Thank you.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Turn the idle down and you may need a longer belt. Or you might be able to move the engine back on the cradle if it's adjustable.

COPB

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
I installed my briggs with the idea that I could get a belt in the size I needed. Not so. I talked to Comet and they told me what belt I needed. I made some slight changes and it worked fine. Most all the big block set ups idle at a dead stop. I don't know any that have the original stop start like an original golf cart engine.

mslam02

Ok, ill try that out. I'm not super familiar with these types of setups (more used to messing around with cars) - can you explain why a longer belt would be necessary?

mslam02

Thanks for the info, the idling isnt a big deal, but having to turn off the machine to switch gears is a bit of an annoyance as you can imagine.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Try turning the idle down first.

The longer belt may not be necessary but if there isn't enough slack in the belt it will be hard to shift even at a low idle.

COPB

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
I agree. I wasn't processing the question correctly. Your engine must be mounted on a plate with elongated holes for positioning the motor. If turning down the idle doesn't work, you may be able to loosen the bolts and give the motor a little tap backwards to loosen the belt a bit.