Club Car Golf Cart Won't Run After Sitting For 2 Weeks

Baldy_54

2002 Club Car 48 volt Golf Cart won't run after sitting for 2 weeks. Batteries fully charged. When I left cart was running good. When we came back 2 weeks later, the battery lite was glowing, batteries read 48 volts. Would not go at all. 3 years ago, replaced a thing like a solenoid. Is it likely the same problem again?

I read that you can jump across the 2 large pins and get it to move, is this right? explain, I don't want to run over my foot.

dirtysouth

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
waiting.gif

shadowman

does solenoid click when you hit peddle? you can jump it but jack the rear up 1st so you don,t run your foot over...........jump the large post and turn key on pout in gear and hit peddle if cart wants to go yes solenoid could be bad..........have you tried the charger? if not try it see if it works.................................
cool.gif

Baldy_54

Put jumper on and it did move. Went and borrowed a jack, didn't use as I had a jumper that allowed me to sit in the cart, may need it to take the solenoid off. Thanks Shadowman. Willlet you know how it ends.

Baldy_54

Finally got that solenoid off, what a job. Almost as hard as getting to the Air Filter on a Goldwing Motorcycle. The diode on the little tabs read the same ohmage in either diredtion, is that normal for the solenoid? Any way 44.50 for a new one, paid 19 dollars 3 years ago, talk about inflation.

shadowman

get yourself a diode also that ones bad......remember they go on one way.........as for repairing a solenoid? i suppose but have never heard of anyone doing it.............................
cool.gif

Baldy_54

Yes, you are right, I thought it was bad that is why I asked to be sure. Another thing that I felt was strange, was the amber light on the dash was on brightly. When I put the cart away, the batteries were fully charged and the light was not on. Something happened during the 2 weeks that it was sitting for the light to come on. Might have been the diode going south. What do you think about it? I appreciate all the help on the forum. One way to learn something new.

PS How did I get the nic "Caddie"? More like rookie.
tip.gif

shadowman

your name will change as your post count goes up....................as for the light? i dunno mine does the same thing sometimes and i,m 100% certain i have no issues so i don,t worry about it......i guess thats why they call them idiot lights................................
cool.gif

Baldy_54

New solenoid installed and "On the Road Again". I talked to a Tech. and he said to be sure to put your cart in "Tow" instead of "Run" if you are leaving it for any long time. Also charge before leaving it. I even had no left over parts as I did take off the back of the cart off to make it easier to get to.

shadowman

glad to hear it thanks for update, i should have mentioned any time you do any work put it in tow........otherwise good chance of smoking controller..........................................
cool.gif

Baldy_54

Thanks for the comeback. Good point on putting it in tow whenever you work on it.

So as not to hijack "ezgosit's post where is the other solenoid you speak of? What is it's function and is it more important than the one I replaced?

shadowman

some carts have regenitive braking......reagan they call it and if so it has a 2nd solenoid for the braking................if you have the F&R lever and not the little rocker switch you don,t have the reagan braking......................its sorta like a jake brake...............................
cool.gif