Club Car Golf Cart Dead and Controller Smoking

Becks

Hey all, in trouble with the Mrs.

I bought an old school '89 Club Car golf cart (Model A894 138411) from a buddy. He sold it with 4 new tires and rear seat kit he had never installed. My buddy said it worked fine but recently wasn't holding a charge and the last time he drove it was acting funny. He thought it needed new batteries and he thought that was all. I paid him $550 for the cart and parts and bought 6 brand new trojan t-105 6 volt deep cycle batteries.

Installed the tires and rear seat kit and the batteries with the exact same wiring pattern as the old ones and charged them. I drove it... and it took off crazy fast and then started jerking and smoking and quit moving after 100 yards. I looked under the seat area and noticed the solenoid had a burnt looking resister wire. I took a pic and brought the pic to the golf cart place that sold me the bad batteries. He sold me a new solenoid and told me I didn't need those resister wires and new carts don't have them. ??:rolleyes:

I replaced the solenoid with wiring as it was and same results.. jerks and black smoke pouring out. Looked harder and the smoke is coming from the controller. Controller appears to be a Curtis PMC Model # 1204-015 (Voltage 24-35, current 275A).

I am guessing his using bad batteries killed the controller? I built my own house and am handy but have never done much with electronics. Anyone able to send me in the right direction? Anyone have any advice? My wife not thrilled I bought an ancient golf cart and expensive batteries and it is stuck sitting in the yard. LOL Would love to get this thing running again.

If it needs a new controller... and recommendations? Any other advice?

Thanks in advance.

Becks

Thx for the reply!

So.. how do i do that exactly... :) I have a voltage meter. What exactly am i putting the wires on and what setting on the meter?. Sorry I am electronically challenged. :dazed:

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
You said it was 24 to 35 volts you're putting 36 through it just wanted you to re-read this

Ncgolfcartboy

Cartaholic
Sounds like either the controller was bad or somthing was wired incorrect. As for the dead batteries killing it I doubt it but who knows.

Check over all the wiring with this schematic and make sure every wire is in the correct place and tight. I would reccomend keeping the resistor and diode on the solenoid they are there to protect the controller from power surges.

89-03-36v.jpg

Becks

Will check this afternoon. THANK YOU!. If It is wired correctly... what controller would you get? Any thoughts if it was yours?

Diode

Well if you're sure the controller was smoking I would remove it and Shake It see if there's anything rattling before I would put a new controller on there you need to at least throw an ohmmeter on the motor

Diode

This should help

Attachments

• Curtis Controller 1205 Manual.pdf
    543.1 KB · Views: 26

Zman

Cartaholic
Diode , i have a bunch of Curtis cores that you can have. email me if you want them , you pay for the ride.

Becks

Ok... been working on this thing. My wife took it to a "golf cart repair guy" and he said it wasn't worth messing with and he couldn't tell if it was the motor or the controller that was bad. I asked him if there was a way to test which it was and he said no. Is that true?

Zman sent you a PM. thanks!

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
No, the motor testing or controller information is not true. The motor can be tested with 12 volts. There's in instructions for golf cart motor testing in the resource section of the forum. There's also controllers available for your Club Car.

Hi Everyone. Following this thread for my dad. Older club car started smoking, curtis PMC dc controller seems to be blown. Black smoke and heat under the seat. Cart was uncontrollable for a bit until we got it to stop. Sparks. Batteries seem to be fine? I think we need to get a replacement controller. New to this. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Diode

If it's a series cart it should be relatively cheap to repair if it is one of the early sepex carts now you're looking at a much more expensive repair. What is the first letters and the next 4 numbers look at the motor and see if on the end opposite the axle mounting if there are three wires sticking out green black and red