Club Car Golf Cart Batteries

flyweed

Hi all. My son and I just picked up a 1995 (I think) Club Car golf cart. it has the 48 volt system (6, 8 volt batteries) The previous owner said it worked last fall, but he thinks the batteries are shot. We brought it home, cleaned every contract and every wire connector that connected batteries, jumpers etc. We plugged the carts charger into the cart, and let it set overnight. Things we've found.......1. the Ammeter on the charger box, doesn't move off of "0" if it is charging, shouldn't it read the charge output? 2. We tested voltage across all 6 batteries, and it read 42 volts. We checked each battery voltage individually, and here are the readings we got.
1. 7.72vdc
2. 3.80vdc
3. 7.87vdc
4. 6.85vdc
5. 7.68vdc
6. 7.65vdc

Are ANY of these batteries GOOD, or should we get rid of all of them, and replace???

Thanks for any help

flyweed

Oh.....I am also looking for the wiring diagram for this Club Car, my Serial number: A9527 442540

If anyone can confirm what model, and year I have, and point me to a good FULL wiring schematic of this car, I'd be thankful!

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
By looking at the voltage numbers of each battery they are probably all bad. When you plug the battery charger in to the golf cart can you hear the charger humming? The golf cat is a 1995 Club Car DS. Welcome to the forum. :hattip:

flyweed

Thanks for the welcome. Thrilled to be here for this NEW adventure. We've had "golf carts" for years..BUT...always GAS. This is our first electric. It's a whole "nother" ballgame. Anyway. imagine ALL of the batteries are INDEED bad. The previous owner let it sit partially charged for over a year, without running it, or charging it... MOST of the battery, the sides are slightly bulged out. When I plug in the charger I don't here anything, no click, no hum(I don't think)..I thought I heard a very very faint hum, but nothing super noticable. The ammeter needle doesn't move off of zero.

My son, who works on small engines all the time, says he thinks the charger is fine..and he can put the voltmeter on the very first battery in the series, and can see the voltage change when the charger kicks "on and off". So, not sure he's right or not.

Anyway..I'd love a FULL wiring diagram of this cart, if there is one out there.

Now, one other question..the Dreaded, should I replace with (6) 8 volts, or should I put in (4) 12 volt marine deep cycles? I know the run time suffers, etc etc.
I simply ask, because we are going to use this cart as a "sag wagon" behind the high school marching band..The longest drive we'll EVER take in it, is just under 6 miles, in about 2 hours time. SO do you think regular 12 volt batteries would suffice, for such a use??

Thanks much

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
There should be a wiring diagram for your golf cart in the resource section of the forum. As far as the batteries go I wouldn't recommend deep cycles I would use golf cart batteries. :twocents:

flyweed

Thanks..I found the wiring schematics.....pretty straight forward.....however, the P.O...also installed the street ready LED head lights and brake lights, so there is more wiring under the hood, along with a new "toggle switch" located next to the OEM headlight "pull out" knob. So, do you still have to pull the knob out to turn on headlights, or does the new toggle switch on the dash, override that? Also, he has wired in an LED ground fx kit too, and there is an Off/ON switch located just to the left of the forward/reverse selector lever. I just need to concentrate on getting the cart up and running first, and THEN, I'll see if all of the "upgrades" work or not.

flyweed

Yeah..I'm not worrying about any of the aftermarket lighting for now. Just want to get the cart up and driving first, then I'm gonna work on the aftermarket lights. I did read the external battery charger manual, and they had a way to bypass the charging circuit, to get low batteries charging, so I did that, but....still no change in the voltage on the batteries...so I think it's INDEED time for new batteries.

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Also remember the charger will not turn on if the battery voltage is below 32 V on a 48 V cart

flyweed

Yep...I knew that..which is why I did the charger manuals "Bypass" of the charging circuit..it said to try it, with batteries lower than 32v. I did it, and it didn't seem to do anything. However, When I put the Multimeter on #1 battery Positive and #6 battery Negative, I get 42v. so not sure the Bypass worked or not.

Last question for tonight......is there a WAY to "check or test" the charger to confirm it is working correctly? From my understanding, you can't just plug in the AC plug, and test the DC plug to check for voltage. Is there a way to confirm DC output voltage on these chargers??

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If your batteries have enough voltage and the battery charger isn't turning on when you plug it in to the golf cart it isn't working. From what you're describing it sounds like your battery charger isn't working.

flyweed

I think the charger is working.. when I plug the charger into the CART...after a couple seconds I hear a "click"....then I plug in the AC power and I don't HEAR anything really, but I can feel a slight vibration (I think) and the transformer/box gets warm after a while. I just don't think the batteries are taking much (if any) charge..as the Ammeter on the charger remains at "0". I tested the Ammeter's continuity and continuity checks out fine.

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
You probably have a bad Diode or heatsink also some chargers have internal fuses and make sure the circuit breaker in the Front is not tripped The black wire on the back of the receptacle jump that to the negative of the pack plug the charger into AC first Then into cart with jumper